Swivel Clips

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
Bread

Swivel Clips

Post by Bread »

So I can swap rigs over quickly, I was wondering if I could use a swivel clip on the end of the leader line to clip a rig on. I looked into this today in my local tackle shop and they said that the swivel clip was the way to do it.

However, the swivel clip is rated at only 22lbs and needs to be small so that it can travel through the smallest eye at the end of the rod.

As I'm using 60lb leader, this doesn't seem logical to me.

Am I right, or should I go ahead with the swivel clips ?

blakdog

Swivel Clips

Post by blakdog »

Definately not! No point having a 60lb leader if the swivel is only rated to 22lb - but you've already thought of that...thats why you've asked the question. You could try purchasing some higher rated swivels (berkley are normally good and have never let me down) as they would have a higher rating for their size, but I still think you would have trouble getting them through the rings.

I use Breakaway Fastlinks on the end of my leader as to be honest, if you have swivels on your traces, all you need at the end of the leader is a clip. The fastlink is virtually unbreakable and very safe but I don't think even that would go through the rod rings. Simple answer is to tie whatever you use to the leader once you have your rod/reel set up and make sure that it is at least as strong as the leader. I always replace the knots at both ends of the leaders for every trip anyway, just for safety's sake.

Bread

Post by Bread »

I'll do that Blackdog. I just thought I'd check first.

Thanks for your help - I think I'll stick to tying them on for now - takes a little longer, but safest way me thinks.

Cheers.

stufish
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stufish »

Use a Gemini rig clip on the end of your leader. It will just go through your tipb ring. Then put the swivel at the top of your rig.

Stu

RaytheRay

Post by RaytheRay »

I agree with the last comments. Why do you need the clip/link/swivel to go through your rod rings this does not make sense to me.

Bread

Post by Bread »

I need the clip link to be on the end of the leader line which will go through the ings and then clip on to the rig.

i.e. the reel will have all the line on including the clip when dismantled, it just a case of running the line through the rod and clipping in the rig for setting up.

sorry, I should have explained myself better RaytheRay.

concrete

Post by concrete »

Do as blakdog says and use a fastlink as the gemini links have a habit of picking up line snags and you end up losing your gear.

Bread

Post by Bread »

Will they fit through the rod eyes OK ?

If so, where can I get them from ?

essexman
Regular
Regular

yy

Post by essexman »

you can also use a QF swivel which connects in the middle.top half connects to your leader line and bottom half connects to your hook line.u can connect these to 3 or 4 rigs,if u buy enough they are about £1.70p.and the same for bottom

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

I use breakaway fast link clips and leave them permantly attached to my reel as i have no problem with them fitting though my rod eye's when setting up...

I believe that they are available in 2 sizes from most tackle shops.

Sweedishtaff

Post by Sweedishtaff »

ScreamingReels wrote:I need the clip link to be on the end of the leader line which will go through the ings and then clip on to the rig.

i.e. the reel will have all the line on including the clip when dismantled, it just a case of running the line through the rod and clipping in the rig for setting up.

sorry, I should have explained myself better RaytheRay.
What I do is pass my leader through the rings first then attach my swivel clip to that! Only one knot to do on the beach. Hope this helps, if it doesn't then I will have to try better next time!!! :lol: :lol:

petersclan
Occasional
Occasional

Post by petersclan »

HIYA,
i have used a gemini hook on the end of my line for the last six months, this fits through the eyes fine and can simply connect rigs straight on as i have put a swivel at top of all my rigs

one off and one on in seconds with no knots all eve

never had a problem this way

trueuk1

Post by trueuk1 »

im currantly using dexter QF swivels great bit of kit pass thruogh all my rod rinds with ease, but everyones opinions/ideas differ

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

swivel links

Post by MadKev »

Personally, I live with Gemini swivel'n'links, but I agree about line snags.

Would you take your rod tip to the shop, find the strongest swivel that will fit through the tip ring, say 75lb BS or above? Tie that to the tip of your leader at home, then use a 75lb link-clip as decribed above on the end to accept your trace swivels? No knots to tie on the beach, best of all worlds, no snags. Under pressure I do sometimes undo the wrong end of the link and find myself trying to attach two swivels together, hence swivel'n'link. MK