Lures

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Lures

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:14 am

I have a good collection of lures both for shore and boat fishing. Every one of them ends with a trebble hook.

My question is, if I was to replace the treble with a single hook of a similar size, would it affect the catch rate or the action of the lure.

The reason I ask this is that I am fed up stabbing myself when sorting out my tackle box.
Cheers
keith :D :D

bugboy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugboy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:18 pm

I have thought about same thing too.

Having watched many fishing programs on telly, have you ever noticed that when some of them fish for marlin, tuna etc their lures have a single hook, albeit on a bigger scale. Cant see why it wouldnt work on smaller lures. Also might help on reducing the number of foul hooked fish too!!

Cant see it causing any ill effects, but to protect my fingers from a stabbing, I have plastic clip on hook covers on mine at the mo.

ed

yomper

Post by yomper » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:42 am

In BC Canada its the law to use only single hook barbless when I was there I did just that
my wife got a 24lb salmon on a jig [single barbless] and it had to be lifted about 20 feet upon the pier and I got a 25lb Striped Bass trolling a river in Oregon :)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:44 am

Thanks for your replies lads, so it looks like my idea would be feasible, I have been told that Sakuma make a short shanked hook especially for this purpose but I would be wise to introduce another split link between the hook and the lure,
Cheers

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

Keith you could try covering your trebles with short lengths of plastic tube of suitable size as I did with my pike lures after getting fed up of untangling them from my lure box!Helps protect the points on the trebles too,Regards,Mick :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Mick, but its unhooking the fish thats a problem as well as stabbing myself, I did actually think of cutting off one of the hooks nas a means of making unhooking a fish easier.
Cheers

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:52 pm

rabbi2 wrote:Thanks Mick, but its unhooking the fish thats a problem as well as stabbing myself, I did actually think of cutting off one of the hooks nas a means of making unhooking a fish easier.
Cheers
Its worth a try mate as I've known pike anglers to do the same thing to their lures and snap tackles :D :D