daylights

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

daylights

Post by geordiesandman » Sat May 01, 2010 8:13 pm

are daylights only usable during the day time (as the name suggests) or are they any good in the dark??

graham

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch » Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 am

can you explain to me what 'daylights' are in the first place? are they the little glow sticks?

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman » Sun May 02, 2010 9:55 am

they're a type of lure, look a bit like feathers but not fuffy

graham

polarstar

Post by polarstar » Sun May 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I have a mustad sealite trace and on the back of the packet it states towards dusk as low light levels fall and silver ribbon with flourescent whipping.

hope this helps.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 pm

i think clear water helps also,you can tip each hook with abit of squid as an attractant,are these the "fladen" daylights?

all the best

Andy

Salfordian

Post by Salfordian » Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm

I have never used daylights or indeed feathers of any kind.. What size weight would you recommend?

Chris

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch » Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh dear.. *WARNING ....WARNING." lol. Mackerel traces eh?

Was throwing a 3oz weight and string of shrimp style lures out (30lb trace) and after about 10 casts the weight just cracked off...and they were'nt a cheapy trace. Mustad and first time they've been used since I bought them. Will be retying them next time regardless of what the packet says the body lb is.

Not sure if you can catch macky in the night? I've found them a bit sparse at dawn and then picking up during the day.

Salfordian. 10lb of leader every ounce. So if the body of the trace is 50lb you can use up to 5 oz. You can use more if you're gently lobbing it off some rocks/pier. I like using a bigger weight because the lures sink quicker...I think this helps B-) (oops...don't forget your shock leader either)

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman » Fri May 28, 2010 7:43 am

must admit, i've had more luck with daylights than bait the past couple of weeks, catching mainly coalies plus a few whiting (all under size)

using them on a bass rod with a 5oz lead if i long cast, but a 3oz lead if i'm dropping it over the side it seems that letting it drop slowly is beneficial (baybe soething to do with them looking like ijured fish??)

graham