Impact shields

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
Boxerman

Impact shields

Post by Boxerman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 am

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but could I use two impact shields on one rig, using the second one as a normal bait clip?

Would there be any advantages/disadvantages in doing this?

Rgds

Frank

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:06 am

At a guess I'd say you're using it for a clipped two hook paternoster, no reason why you can't although it may be simpler to use a cascade swivel on the bottom snood when assembled for casting the bottom hook is clipped to sheild and upper hook is clipped to cascade of lower snood,
hope this helps

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:45 am

Or just make the top snood long enough to clip down on the same shield.

I suspect 2 shields would reduce your casting distance a fair bit. I've found a single one does that; I'm wondering whether to opt for a simpler clip like a gemini link.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:I suspect 2 shields would reduce your casting distance a fair bit. I've found a single one does that.
Scrap that Idea then! I need all the help I can get :)

Thanks for the advice lads

Rgds
Frank

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Reel_wizard,
Thanks for your reply, I think I'll take your advice and stick to tried and trusted methods - at least until I get back into the swing of things.

Rgds

Frank

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:05 pm

It's probably the bait that affects the biggest reduction on a cast, though all parts of the rig add to air resistance, and I can certainly notice the difference between a cast with and without a rig. I came across an academic paper that observed reduction in casting distances against theoretical values (calculated from launch speed of lead) and found a reduction in distance of a factor 2 to 3. That would include line drag too of course.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Why not just use a DVice ? You can put big baits in them and bang them out miles without them exploding.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:09 pm

reel_wizard wrote:
Without a rig you'll notice a difference yes ... that's obvious (and a major factor behind the increased tournament distances) but between two types of bait clip .... as I said I very much doubt the factor would be enough for anyone to notice. The natural variation in casting distances probably means you wouldn't even get any useful proof from measuring casts either.
Yes, I think you're probably right. Although a shield in theory would offer more resistance, it probably makes little difference given all the other factors. As for comparing casts, you would have to repeat the experiment several times. One for the enthusiast.