Bait holder Hooks

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
oggy_chomper

Bait holder Hooks

Post by oggy_chomper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Just as a matter of interest does anybody on here use or indeed rate these hooks? I ask because today whilst rummaging through my shed to supply my nephews with more bits and pieces (yet again) I came accross a box of Bait holder hooks in 4/0 which I vaguely remember buying for using lug, but I can't remember using them I mostly use aberdeen or viking which I bought in bulk about 30 Years ago and still have hundreds.
Any thoughts my nephews have gone away with them and I'm sure will soon lose them along with the selection of weights and bits and bobs I have relinqueshed ownership.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi, i have some, and for sloppy baits they are useless, at least as far as their intended use. You need quite a stiff bait for the barbs to have any effect. Cheers..Mick

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 pm

I can remember the old baitholder hooks used to snap like carrots and cost a lot of people big fish.
It all depends how deep the slice in the shank is as to whether it weakens the hook or not. If the slices are tiny they will make little difference to baitholding.

Proper hook and plenty of bait elastic works for me. :)

oggy_chomper

Post by oggy_chomper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks chaps, I can't remember using them but I obviously saw them somewhere and thought was a good idea probably picked them up whilst in a tackle shop just to buy something, still the young uns can try them and report back.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 am

No good for worm baits but I use them all the time in the summer when baiting with mackerel strip or squid. I have never had one bust (perhaps mine are a different brand) and they have a good hook up rate.

oggy_chomper

Post by oggy_chomper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 am

The Brand in question are "Partridge" I think now that I recall a few years ago being reccomended them for using fish baits and buying them and being me not liking change I just kept on using my old familiar mustads.
Mind You since buying them my fishing exploits have been mostly non-existant, I manage only about 0ne to two outings a year which I keep meaning to rectify but never seem to.Thanks for reply i may have to get a couple back and try them this summer.