Pulley rigs

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
Captain_Mainwaring

Post by Captain_Mainwaring » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:27 pm

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/S ... ulley-Rig/

Just scroll down to the video and see the great man himself showing the rig and how its used- he uses a pulley bead

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 pm

I know when they are clipped down it meay appear as if the hooklength is taking the load but it is in fact the 'fulrum', the point where the top swivel or pulley bead is in direct contact with the rig body that takes the majority of the 'Shock load' during casting, this being the reason that the pulley bead was designed in the first place.
If I could only fish with one rig it would be the pulley as it can be adapted to meet all conditions and requirements, and will take most species. I have even been experimenting with a pulley rig where the hooklength swivel has been replaced with a three-way swivel and a second dropper has been added because I have noticed that when schoolie bass come in they seem to take the top hook of a two hook flapper.

NEIL

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:33 pm

baitdigger wrote:I have even been experimenting with a pulley rig where the hooklength swivel has been replaced with a three-way swivel and a second dropper has been added because I have noticed that when schoolie bass come in they seem to take the top hook of a two hook flapper.

NEIL
interesting. keep me updated as to how this goes

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:48 am

sounds very interesting,i take it the "other hook" wouldnt be clipped then,but i can see how it would work,keep us updated BD

with anticipation

Andy

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 am

The top hookis on a short mono hooklength of about 6-9 inches and I always bait it with sandeel, or razor which needs to be held on with elastic.

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Captain_Mainwaring wrote:http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/S ... ulley-Rig/

Just scroll down to the video and see the great man himself showing the rig and how its used- he uses a pulley bead
I notice during the video that he mentions how the bead spreads the load on the line over a greater area to prevent kinking-same reason I stopped using diamond eye swivels on my carp rigs,they strangle the knot more under tension than a round eye version,also the line diameters were smaller so probably more prone to damage than typical sea rig material-still anything to help prevent weak spots must be worth considering from a safety point if nothing else? :D :D