what is the best brand and type of swivels

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

what is the best brand and type of swivels

Post by gallagher08 »

hello

i wanted to by some fishing gear as i am running low on supplys. so i wanted to no about swivels. any one no

cheers all

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

I was going to suggest avoiding those from china but thats probably rather difficult to do nowadays to be honest, even the big names source them from there.

Stick to reliable brands, sakuma, hiro, berkley, dexter, mustad to name a few and tried and trusted designs. Rolling swivels are better and much stronger than barrel jobbies, the bulk of which are just utter crap - for those that doubt that comment try a few destruction tests ..... you will be rather shocked at how easy those with a bent wire eye straighten or snap.

Those manufactured in Japan are probably the best you can hope for nowadays. Personal favourite at the moment is sakuma

monsterfish

Post by monsterfish »

As said above all swivels generally come from the same place.. Just stuck in diffrent packaging with a name on it, however there are some cheapys on the market which are very poor.. I have been selling swivels imported from the states for over 3 years now :D .. no brand as such but overal quality they are very good...and at a good all round price due to the fact they havnt got a brand name on them.. I sell them in 50's.. you can have a look on my website if you wish!

Hope this helps! ;)

Frazer
Monster Fishing

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

cheers guys

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

monsterfish wrote:As said above all swivels generally come from the same place
Seriously disagree with that one I'm afraid, its way wide of the mark!

The main centres for swivel manufacture ...... Japan, China, Sri Lanka, Singapore, India and USA. Some small production of completed products are based in UK and other parts of Europe.... but these are very much in the minority.

Most swivels available on the market today are made in two seperate countries because of the costs and manufacturing bases of the production of components and labour to assemble the components.

A lot of the swivels assembled in countries like India and Sri Lanka are produced from component parts made in other countries for example Dexter make the components in their factory in Wales and then have them assembled in Sri Lanka, where the labour cost of assembling them is cheaper!

I said its difficult to avoid swivels from China, not that they all come from the same place.

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

saltstone is a cheaper brand of fishing gear, but thier swivels do last a long time and can take a fair strain.
i use these as they dont cost much but buy your gear depending on your budget.

george

mudlark

Re: re

Post by mudlark »

George6500i wrote:saltstone is a cheaper brand of fishing gear, but thier swivels do last a long time and can take a fair strain.
i use these as they dont cost much but buy your gear depending on your budget.

george
Saltstone come from Swift International and I think you'll find that swift simply repack bulk unbranded sakuma swivels. If they arent sakuma they'll probably be from dexter in wales so I reckon your bang on the money with saltstone. I occasionally stock saltstone stuff and its generally okay kit despite being on the cheap side ;)