Breakaway Lead Lifts

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
frazzle

Breakaway Lead Lifts

Post by frazzle » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi ya all,

Just wondering if anyone uses Breakaway Lead Lifts OR JUST Lead Lifts, as I have seen them in most tackle shops but wonder how effective they really are for lifting you weight away from the weed etc. Is it worth paying the money for them?.

Cheers

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi Frazzle,

Definately. If you are fishing rough ground, they will pay for themselves. I swear by them.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:20 pm

they simply dont work! unless you reel in at lightning speed anyway, by which time the lead is well off the bottom, theyre a sales gimmic in my opinion and when fiashing rough ground i feel their shape causes more snags than anything else i do use them as attarctors for flatties and mackeral thoguh lmao

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:46 am

We fish several weedy spots on Hayling and my buddy uses them but seems to pick up just as much weed as I do when reeling in. Rather than buy one, I made my own out of some plastic sheet I had hanging around but didn't notice any difference when I used it. If you think about it, that 'lifter' needs to be pretty big to lift a 4 oz weight off the bottom and the whole trace would have to be 'travelling' through the water to make it happen so it's not going to work unless you are reeling quickly and it stays 'flat' in the water. It probably doesn't stay flat in the water anyway, it probably spins round your swivels and is therefore not lifting very much. I still think the best way to fish a weedy/rocky spot is to use as simple a trace as possible which in my case is a one hook running ledger with a torpedo shaped lead. I know that you have to use a spiked lead sometimes to hold bottom if there is a current and I do this too, but I always cut the spikes down from the size they give you in the tackle shop and select slim line leads which helps. Of course there are lots of places where you can float fish if the current is not too strong - my mate was float fishing a mackerel flapper a few weeks ago with a 4 foot snood and hooked a 6lb bass! You need to work out how to do this of course but it can be done.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:29 am

Ok, so not everybody likes them. All I can say is that on snaggy ground, I've lost less tackle using them as when I don't have one on.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:24 am

yeah but dunc, i never lose rigs until i put a rotten bottom on lol

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:49 pm

Unfortunately, I could keep the lead manufacturing industry going for a lifetime! I've started casting my own now especially as working on building sites means that I have an endless supply of lead. I guess its a case of each to their own. Last time I went out, the problem wasn't rotten ground, it was the brand new line I'd put on that kept delaminating into a stringy mess. Won't be using that again!

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:25 am

take a look at the sakuma stuff i use the yellow one and its brillaint for night fishing but they also have a grey, its a bit pricy at nearly £8.00 but lasts atleast half the winter season, i use the sakuma shockleader too in 80lb thats great for rigs and as a general shockleader

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:14 pm

Cheers for that Thom, I had given the Trilene a go but if thats the strongest in the USA, they've got problems!

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:05 pm

Best line i have ever used is perlon attached to greased weasel by a bimini twist

mogthemackem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mogthemackem » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:15 am

WTF Jimmy??? You started to speak in a different language lol

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:01 am

No Darren mate,perlon is my mainline tied to my greased weasel (shockleader) with a bimini twist.Probably the strongest fishing knot you will ever find