Rig making - snood swivels

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
steve1963
Occasional
Occasional

Rig making - snood swivels

Post by steve1963 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:29 am

I started to make my own rigs, but getting a problem with beads snapping.

I use mini crimps and 3mm beads either side of my snood swivel only to find that the lower bead breaks and the swivel falls over the crimp. This has happened three times in two trips.

I did use 4mm beads for added strength, but the bead hole is too big and slips over the crip !! Causing the same problem.

Should I leave a bigger gap between the bead and the crimp ?

I'm I doing something wrong or is there a better way of holding the snood swivel ?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 am

I cannot follow, My trace is made up of 60lb line with hook lengths of 20lb line. buy the crimps to suit and use 8mm beads. Hope this helps.

ratman1

Post by ratman1 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:46 am

There should be a gap of a couple of mm to allow the swivel to operate, there is no reason the beads should snap though, try aero beads, they are very good. If you are using 60lb main rig body then buy crimps to suit. I personally do not like mini crimps and always opt for the standard length. There should not be sufficient stress to cause the beads to break though, are the beads you are using not plastic ? I have seen some people trying to pass off cosmetic beads for this purpose and they just shatter. Another alternative is the good old sliding stop knot either side of the bead which will also allow you to move your hook snood if you need to.
I would suspect inferior beads to be honest.

steve1963
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steve1963 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:20 am

I'm Using 50lb main line and 22lb hook line.

I do leave a small gap so that the swivel can turn around OK.

The crimps are for the size of line, but Its the same batch of beads and they are fisheagle beads, so should be made for the job. maybe it is a bad batch.

I have used stop knots on my wishbone rigs and will see how that works next time I'm out.

What are Crimp Rig Sleeves are these different to ordinary crimps ? or do you place them over the crimp like a cover.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue May 20, 2008 12:47 pm

I have used a slightly different method for the last year which seems to work well: Instead of swivels, I use those short Avis plastic booms with a sliding crimp either side. A sliding crimp by the way is an oversize crimp with a neoprene insert - the crimps still stay put but the neoprene tube inserts allow you to slide them to some extent if you want to tie fresh snoods onto the booms but cannot get the snood to exactly match the length you need for the hook to engage with the hook clip. This set up also reduces tangling of the snoods round the main rig body. Of course this is absolutely brilliant - what else would you expect from the famous Eccles LOL.

steve1963
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steve1963 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks Eccles

I give it a try with the booms, I thought they where only for boat rigs. I do place a tube over the snood swivel about 2" in length and down the hook line, this also help the line from tangling as well.

I made two, up and over rigs last night and used a coarse fishing ledger stop to adjust the length of the trace to the impact shield, I will see if that works next time Im out.

I take it, that if these easterlies keep up, fishing Hayling this weekend will be unproductive and difficult ?

chesilmuff

Re: Rig making - snood swivels

Post by chesilmuff » Wed May 21, 2008 5:03 pm

steve1963 wrote:I started to make my own rigs, but getting a problem with beads snapping.

I use mini crimps and 3mm beads either side of my snood swivel only to find that the lower bead breaks and the swivel falls over the crimp. This has happened three times in two trips.

I did use 4mm beads for added strength, but the bead hole is too big and slips over the crip !! Causing the same problem.

Should I leave a bigger gap between the bead and the crimp ?

I'm I doing something wrong or is there a better way of holding the snood swivel ?
It could be the quality of beads your using.I bought some fladen beads trying to save a few pence,bad mistake.I've had them break above my impact shield twice,also the holes in them are larger than better quality gear.I certainly won't be using them again,cheap shite!

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed May 21, 2008 5:18 pm

steve1963 wrote: I take it, that if these easterlies keep up, fishing Hayling this weekend will be unproductive and difficult ?
Actually there isn't much weed about and the surf is manageable but I'm afraid the fishing is a bit crap still. Wouldn't waste yer petrol mate, I certainly won't be going down with any serious intent. If you do fancy a day out though, there seem to be a few garfish about, two methods: 1. A small light rod that you can keep casting with feathers or lures. Cast across the harbour entrances as the tide is rising. 2. Float fish with small hooks and mackeral strip but bear in mind that the wind will only carry your float one way so you need to be in the right spot e.g. the Hayling side of Langstone Harbour entrance. (Assuming the jetski nutters don't turn up for one of their showing off sessions.)

steve1963
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steve1963 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:46 am

Not sure what I'm doing this weekend, thought I would give it a miss this week.

Next time I'm down I will have a go this, as I have not got my spinning rod out of its bag yet

Good luck, Steve