Running ledger

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi folks

I have posted an image of the rig with a brief description of the length of line and what I have used to create the rig. I hope it makes sense.

Cheers
Reels
Last edited by Reels_on_wheels on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi reels
I can see what you have done this rig will work but if the fish runs more than 75cm then it will pull on the rod.
Ideally a running ledger is used so that the fish doesn't feel any resistance when it picks up the bait.
If you don't like taking the swivel off your shockleader then use a snap link to attach the lead onto your shockleader so it is free running. then attach your snood/hooklength to the swivel on the end of the shockleader. that will give you the right setup but you won't have a buffer bead to protect the knot.

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi crazy
I am not totally sure what you mean regarding taking the swivel off my shockleader.
My reel is set up with 20lb mainline and then 50lb shockleader which is twice the length of my rod and then six turns of the reel. To that I have attached a snap link so that I can change rigs. It means I can change from rig to rig when I am fishing. I normally have a line in the water and then a rig on my tripod ready to bait up, change over and then cast again. If I am lucky enough to have someone with me I will ask them to bait the second rig so it can be changed quickly and back in the water.
I don't know if this makes any sense or not, hopefully it will.

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:49 pm

It does make sense what you are doing, but a running ledger is supposed to be free running. by that I mean that the fish is able to pick up the bait and swim off with it. the extreme would be that the fish takes the bait and then runs 200yards stripping line off the reel until you are ready to strike into the fish.
The way you have yours set up the fish can only run 75cm and will then feel the resistance and may drop the bait.
If you look at my first picture you will understand what I mean.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:30 am

reels what crazy is saying mate is that the weight should be running free on the main line then the hook can go when it wants not just 75cm like you got hence the word running ledger

here we are mate a diagram for you

http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/reference_rigs3.php

or this mate

http://www.geocities.com/tony2kuk/rigs.html

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi guys and thanks for the feedback. I understand now. I thought you had to limit the length the fish could take the bait hence my shockleader being short.
So basically this rig goes straight on to the shockleader and if I decided that I wanted to change to another rig, like a flapper rig I would have to stop and put my swivel set up back on and then put another rig on.
Would you have a length of shockleader ready with a running ledger setup already on it and then you are changing the shockleader if you wanted to change from one to the other. It is just that I use a lot of rotten bottom rigs as well as flapper rigs but I have heard so much about the running ledger being a suitable rig for a beginner and for most fish I thought I would look into it.
Thanks again for all your help. I am learning now, I think
Reels

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 pm

no probs reels like i said we're all still learning no matter how long we've been fishing, the running ledger is very easy when you start using it though

ANDYT63

Post by ANDYT63 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 pm

No you wouldnt go through all that pollava changing shockleader just to change rigs. Why bother ?? Where is the need to keep changing rigs ?
Having baited up rigs waiting to clip on is a quick and efficient method of keeping bait in the water in a match situation but it dosnt take long to bait up really and most of us fish two rods anyway where most match situations only allow one rod so efficiency is an issue. Actually the only time I have seen this being done was in a match.
Personally I would stick with the flappers, bombers & pulleys etc for shore and sea wall work and save the running ledgers for boat and maybe pier fishing where casting is not an issue. But like I say thats only my opinion.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:02 pm

i only use the ledger when fishing off rocks or a pulley rig

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks again guys for the replies. Due to being in the chair I mostly fish from the quayside so I take on what you say.
I have never entered any competitions being new back into angling but this is something I plan to change. I do know a guy that lives around the corner from me who has been sea angling since I have known him but since I have started back I have not seen him. I know he is a member of a club and I have watched him at a local competition so I guess I really need to speak to him.
Right now when fishing from the quayside I will probably have three rods in the water, my own 12ft beachcaster normally with two hook clipped down rig with either sand eel or rag worm, which is casted out, my sons 9ft spinning rod with a rotten bottom rig over the side baited with rag worm and as I have just been given another 9ft spinning rod from a friend I will have that slightly along a bit with the same rotten bottom set up as my sons rod. I have been out on my own using all three rods but usually if I have three in the water my son is with me. I do have another beachcaster that needs a new eyelet on it so hopefully I will get this is the water as well. I suppose I am pretty much hooked, pardon the pun but I want to get out as much as often and cover as much ground as possible.
Thanks again
Reels

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:38 pm

all the best reels and tight lines mate

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Reels_on_wheels wrote:Reels on Wheels said:

So basically this rig goes straight on to the shockleader and if I decided that I wanted to change to another rig, like a flapper rig I would have to stop and put my swivel set up back on and then put another rig on.

Reels
I've had this problem when using zip sliders. I think that a running leger using a slider is incompatible with other rigs because the connector (swivel or whatever) is at the end of the shockleader and the slider/weight is above it. For all other rigs the weight is below - i.e. on the rig itself, so the slider needs to be removed. Does this make sense?

However, the suggestion to use a snap swivel (sometimes called an american swivel I think) is a good one as this can be clipped on and off. Well done whoever suggested it - I'm converted.