Running ledger

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Reels_on_wheels

Running ledger

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Forgive my ignorance but can someone please tell me what a running ledger is? I have heard people talking about it, have heard it mentioned on TV programs but I would like to know what it is, where to use it and for what.
Cheers
Reels

Birnside

Post by Birnside » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi,

Have a look here...
http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/reference_rigs3.php

It's a very good basic rig, can be used from boat, shore, or pier.
You can use any size hook & weight to suit the type of fishing you are doing. It's good for any fish!

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi Birnside
See the sliding boom mentioned on the link in this post, is it a special boom you get to do this. I have never used booms at all but I have looked about and there are so many different types. Is this the type of boom that is used: http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/pro ... 7&cPath=59
or is it something different.
Cheers
Reels

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 pm

thats the 1 reels mate

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Just a little tip Reels: If you get some of those sliding booms (I use them a lot for flatty fishing), don't get the cheapies: I bought a packet from a scummy tackle shop last year (no names mentioned) and they nearly all busted within weeks. I do a fair old OTG cast which puts some pressure on them but they should not bust that easily. The good ones are a darker red colour than the rubbishy variety.

Birnside

Post by Birnside » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 pm

The red zip boom is probably the best one for the job. Cox & Rawle also do a similair boom which is much smaller, but I cant find any advertised on the web to give you a link. They are small green ones.

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:47 am

eccles wrote:Just a little tip Reels: If you get some of those sliding booms (I use them a lot for flatty fishing), don't get the cheapies: I bought a packet from a scummy tackle shop last year (no names mentioned) and they nearly all busted within weeks. I do a fair old OTG cast which puts some pressure on them but they should not bust that easily. The good ones are a darker red colour than the rubbishy variety.
I bought the same ones from the same shop not too far from Pompey Football ground. The same happened twice and I cast only 70 - 80 yards using an overhead thump as you know.

Fortunately no one was around to catch the flying leads in the face. I can't remember the name of the tackle shop but hopefully my description above should be enough as these are damn dangerouus.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 am

I only ever used those red booms when boat fishing; they are said to prevent tangling ( they don't) They are not necessary when beach casting, a simple snap swivel will do the job..... and cost you less.

The running leger, with a few variations, is the only rig I use in 95% of fishing situations.

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Don't you find that the snap swivel is too abrasive on the line TNH? That's why I started using the zip sliders.

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi guys
I am looking for some more information about a running ledger. I bought some of the sliding booms and I was making some rigs up when I suddenly thought that there might be a guide for the length of the rig.
I have looked at many websites with images of this rig on it and I have the John Wilson book 'Guide to Bait and Rigs' but I wasn't sure if there was a guideline to follow or is it dependent on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for?
The shockleader I have on my reel is 50lb and I have a clipped swivel on the end of this to make it easier to change rigs.
I made the ledger up by having a swivel, 75cm of 50lb line with the sliding boom followed by a bead and then onto a swivel. From this swivel I have 80cm of 25lb line going onto a size 2/0 Aberdeen hook. All knots are grinner knots.
Would this be alright or should the lines be shorter, longer or I have got it way wrong.
Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers
Reels

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi reels
Would it be possible for you to post a picture so that we can see exactly what you mean?

This is what I would call a running ledger.

This is a similar set up using a sliding boom.

B-)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:18 am

Yep, that's about it crazy except I would put some neoprene tube/electrical cable sheath on the first 15 cms of the snood as that seems to reduce the risk of it tangling around the sinker.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:04 am

"the snap swivel is too abrasive on the line ?"
no. a good quality swivel will not abrade the line. On casting the swivel is up against the bead that protects the knot.
The boom shown in the photo above will surely collapse under casting forces..... it is a boat fishing setup where the rig is just lowered into the water.
The top photo looks better.... but..... instead of theading the line throught the lead loop use a snap swivel so that lead type or weight can easily be changed; then swap the ordinary swivel for a snap swivel so that the hook length can be changed easily.

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 am

tensenervoushaddock wrote: The boom shown in the photo above will surely collapse under casting forces..... it is a boat fishing setup where the rig is just lowered into the water.
B-)

Fair comment the boom will collapse when distance casting, but for short distance casting from harbours or piers or into deep water shore marks it does cope with the strain.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 pm

thats what i would call a running ledger i to was a bit :-/ last night with reels' post but a photo would be nice if possible reels so we can see what you mean

we are all here to help each other and to learn off each other :D