Impact bait shields and how to attache them

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Reels_on_wheels

Impact bait shields and how to attache them

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi folks, yes I can't help myself.
I am going to build some Pennel rigs with impact shields on them but when I bought a packet of four there is an additional piece of rubber in the packet. I did try to put it over the bottom of the shield but it seems the internal diameter is too small. Is this where it is supposed to go? If not, where does it go?
I have made just about every rig but this is my first attempt at using an impact shield. Can anyone shed any light on this situation? Am I just being stupid and something is blatantly staring me in the face?
Please forgive my ignorance but I thought I had better ask before going ahead and making a mess of things.
I have looked at many diagrams of rigs but nothing explains how to add the bait shield.
Thanks
Reels

VifferRider
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by VifferRider » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:12 pm

Give me an hour and you will have a step by step guide ;)

VifferRider
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by VifferRider » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Reels_on_wheels

Thank you

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:13 pm

Hi VifferRider
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this, it is really appreciated. I was on the right track but just could not get black tubing on the bottom, but I will do as you have mentioned.
This is why this is a great forum, because people take the time to do things like this especially for beginners like me.

I like the bike, I had a CBR6 and this is how I ended up in the wheelchair.
PM me and I will give you the whole story. Very simple accident but shocking outcome.

Have a great time over the festive period (this applies to everyone else as well). The help I have received on this forum has been fantastic. Even though my posts seem to be looking for answers to silly questions. I have always had a civil answer that has not been patronising.
Many thanks
Reels

mad_abbot
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mad_abbot » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:28 am

If I didn't ask silly questions I'd have nothing to ask :D

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:50 am

Very nice useful guide indeed :D
will make it a sticky
cheers
mrix

ANDYT63

Post by ANDYT63 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:17 am

Hey Viff, hows about a few more :D

mrix

re:

Post by mrix » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:15 am

Hey Viff, hows about a few more
was thinking the same thing :D
Cheers
|2es-mrix

PompeyFisher

Post by PompeyFisher » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:51 am

I tried using one of these shields once and the hook/snood stayd clipped down when I reeled in, so i was put off from using them. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:26 am

Hey Pompey, the hook will sometimes stay put but not that often if you get it right - try experimenting with the rig in a bit of deep water close in (or a pond) so you can see what is happening. Personally I often use the sinkers with their own bait clips built in for the bottom hook then "relay clips" further up for the second or third hooks. This seems to work quite well. Also, when casting, go for plenty of height - if the whole rig enters the water from an almost vertical position, the hooks are more likely to come free from the bait clips.
Very nice piece of work by Viffer, WD mate.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:46 am

[quote="PompeyFisher"]I tried using one of these shields once and the hook/snood stayd clipped down when I reeled in, so i was put off from using them. Has this ever happened to anyone else?[/quote]

If this happens its because the shield is gripping the line too tight and not sliding , use half the length of silicone tube below and always use a large bead above.......................sniggle