One up one down rig

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Reels_on_wheels

One up one down rig

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi folks, it seems that I have a never ending list of questions but I though I may as well ask if I don't know.
I have made a few 'one up one down rigs' relatively easily but the question I have is that how tight do the line need to be on the bait clips?
I tried using one yesterday but I left the lines reasonably loose and as soon as I tried to cast the bait was flying about. It wasn't the end of the world as I was using rag worm and they tend to stay on but I was just curious as to why it came loose from the bait clip.
Should the hooks be tight on the bait clip? If this is correct, how will it release in the water. This might seems like a stupid question but I have tried a few different things with the bait clips apart from making them really tight.
I would appreciate any help in this subject if possible.

This is the rig set up I have been using.
Cheers
Reels

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:40 pm

OK RW been through this bit meself a while back so know your problem quite well: 1. If you want to carry on with that style of rig, make them pretty tight. You may think that if you may them too tight they will not unhook when in the water but most of the time it's not true because the rig body tends to collapse and curl as soon as it hits the water thus the hook comes off. 2. You may like to consider the approach I use these days which tends to solve the problem and reduce tangling as well although I have yet to see it on a tackle shop rig: Firstly I use big crimps with neoprene tubing inserted inside. This means that the crimps can slide and thus you can adjust for your snood length. Secondly, I use relay clips (the ones which are held on the rig body with rubber tubing) again this means you can adjust if necessary because they will slide. Finally and perhaps the most useful trick, I use those short nylon booms (Breakaway make) as the bases for my hook snoods. They can bend downward/upward when you mount the hook on the clip but ping straight once the rig enters the water. PM me if you want to know more.

concrete

Post by concrete » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Breakaway make an adjustable crimp.

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:28 pm

The loop rig is a much better way of doing it my friend, casts like a dream as well. the only trouble i have is it takes time to tie it.

the best way of describing is done by alan yates for which i am very sorry for

http://link.brightcove.com/services/lin ... 1243637891

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Nemesis_SLR wrote: the best way of describing is done by alan yates for which i am very sorry for

http://link.brightcove.com/services/lin ... 1243637891
Arrrrrrrgh Nemesis has been Yatesified!

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:25 pm

im sorry i hate the guy but that rig is much better than the one he is using :((

Reels_on_wheels

One up one down rig

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:25 pm

Hi folks and thanks for the replies.
Eccles, I have the bait clips that are able to move up and down so I can make the line tighter. As mention I didn't want to do this as I thought the bait would not release but you have pointed out that this is not the case.
I might have a go at what you have suggested with the rig you have made yourself, it sounds interesting so I might give it a try.
Thanks again to everyone.
Reels