hook sixe tips READ!

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
tomothefisher

hook sixe tips READ!

Post by tomothefisher » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:51 pm

hi, on the rig sides of things whats the best size hook to be using bearing in mind im fishing onshore from east coast and can get alsorts of fish ranged from cod, bass, dab , eel ect

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:33 pm

All depends on what bait your using and which fish you intend to catch. The main factors are the size of the fishes mouth and the size of your bait.

ANDYT63

Post by ANDYT63 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:21 pm

Personally I`m using 3/0`s and BIG baits at the mo in a vain attempt to fish through the whiting and pout. Not succeeding. Even dabs swallow a 3/0.

littletrev

Post by littletrev » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:03 pm

B-) using 1/0 & 2/0 kamasans til after xmas, good strong hook & should hang on to anything going???, not too big though to pick up a bonus fish maybe? had 1 1/4 lb sole last week on 2/0 pennel and 9 inches of lug!! tee hee :-* :-*

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Bearing in mind that coarse anglers catch very big carp with size 4 hooks, my mate never uses anything but size 2 Aberdeens and he has caught bass up to 8 lbs and codling up to 5lbs this year with them. There is a load of baloney talked about hook sizes and you will probably see some of it on here. I use size 1 Aberdeens for everything except sole for which I use long shank size 4's to make sure I don't miss them. The only time I use anything bigger is when I go wreck fishing when I swap over to 3/0's.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:23 am

You certainly will see baloney Eccles!!!

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:51 am

ANDYT63 wrote:Personally I`m using 3/0`s and BIG baits at the mo in a vain attempt to fish through the whiting and pout. Not succeeding. Even dabs swallow a 3/0.
Of course Andy as Eccles has said that's complete baloney- You must surely be mistaken in using such baloney tactics that successfully landed you and your mate kev some decent codling at Orford ( photographs of which you posted) . Instead of using baloney techniques with big hooks and big baits what you really need is a size 16 hook with half a lugworm on it because the scent from that half a lug will attract all the fish in the sea including the biggies- cod, dab, bass, Gt white shark you name it you'll get it- you could easily winch a 15lb cod through the East Coast surf or up the pier using small Aberdeens without the hook bending straight and would probably catch far more than you have done already.

~X(

ANDYT63

Post by ANDYT63 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:57 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bearing in mind that coarse anglers catch very big carp with size 4 hooks (but more often than not sit for many hours not doing so) and do not have to fish through millions of smaller fish that get the bait first and completely swallow the hook.
I am simply trying to aviod the smaller fishes, avoid killing fish that swallow hooks and give myself a chance at something decent.
While some people are happy to catch and half kill every tadpol and guppy in the sea, I am not.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:01 am

Meat hooks anyone? :D :D :D