Rigs

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Lughead

Rigs

Post by Lughead » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 am

I'm really new to sea angling and was wondering why it is so important to have the right rig. Won't the fish be more interested in whats on the hook? Can anyone explain this?

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 pm

it isnt really important to be fair you really just need to have the right hook size, and make sure it doesnt tangle

Lughead

Post by Lughead » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Cheers Nemesis. I've been reading lots of mags which say you must use this rig or that rig and they must be 6ft long for this fish etc etc. I was wondering whether that was why I was catching b*gger all. What would you suggest re hook size?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:55 pm

Unfortunately there is an awful lot of crap printed in mags like the Sea Dangler. My fishing buddy catches fish like you would not believe (12 bass in a 4 hour session last week) so that has to be proof that he roughly knows what to do! So what does he do?, - he fixes up a two hook running ledger with snoods about 8 inches long and size 1 Aberdeens which are loaded with mackerel strip and lug (note: he never uses rag). He has had bass up to 8lbs this year with this set up, also rays, bream, smoothhounds, eels, codling and of course doggies. I dare say someone will post shortly and pontificate but most of it will be baloney and my buddy will laugh.

Lughead

Post by Lughead » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Eccles you're a star cheers mate! I have this week off and will be heading to Hayling from early afternoon tomorrow until well after dark so I'll try it out.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:33 pm

Ta for the compliment mate, if you are going to do the same, you should realise that we separate the two snoods with a short boom (Breakaway do little plastic ones and you can get short wire ones that coarse anglers use). Also, the first few inches of the snood has some electrical cable threaded on (minus the conductor of course) to help reduce tangles. You will never see this set up in Sea Dangler but they are only trying to get you to buy stuff from their advertisers.

Lughead

Post by Lughead » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks again mate. I've read a couple of your other posts which mentions the fairground as a good mark but being able to cast a good distance is really important. Unfortunately thats not something that I've mastered yet. I've fished at Eastoke where I blanked (all but a tiny gurnard that is) and I've been up by the ferry boat where I've had nothing but weed and spider crab. Can you suggest any where else that distance is not such an issue?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:19 pm

1.If you want to chuck well, learn the Off The Ground Technique, it's a lot easier than pendulum and will usually get you out at least 100 yds which is perfectly good for Hayling. Before I learned it, the best I could do on a good day was about 70 yds, now I can do over 100 yds anytime I want and it's only a 12 ft rod. If you want, give me a shout when you are coming and I'll show it you.
2. You do not need to cast that far on Hayling if the tide is in and especially if it's night because the bass come in close when it gets dark. Has not been that wonderful due to weather conditions lately but we picked up a dozen bass and a decent bream between us at the Inn on the Beach on Saturday night around the 80 yd mark.
3. Deepest water is at Eastoke Corner. If you chuck out say 60 yds at high water you will be dropping into over 20 ft of water depth.
4. Ferry boat is OK if you fish it at the right time which is low water up. The weed does not usually get going until about 3 hours after LW at which point we either go home or up sticks and go somewhere else.