Alternatives to knots ?

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
savo

Alternatives to knots ?

Post by savo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:14 pm

Silly question time again ...

Is there any way to attach main line to shockleader to rig without tieing knots ?

ps i only heard about shockleader today by reading a really old ( and long)thread on here somewhere. Tackle shop never mentioned it to me when i was getting kitted out, but in their defence hey prob didnt want to confuse me more than i was already lol

Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:59 pm

You could try super glue, i don't hold out much hope for longevity though.
Haha.
I never heard of anything, clips? or whatever, they would have to be tied to the line by ......a knot..

There is a really easy knot for tying shockleader to your mainline, if tied right, it is very, very strong, and is small, so no problems with snagging, or catching on the level wind on a multiplier.

It is the albright, i use this all the time now.
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.l.j.knight/knot1.htm

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

I think there's a technique which involves heating a metal implement and flattening the leader line with the heated implement then making a hole in it, Then the main line passes through the hole with a knot in the main line securing it but I believe it's only use is for tournament casting rather than fishing.

Doesnt sound very secure to me and not worth the bother really- stick with leader knots.

Bread

Post by Bread » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:09 pm

stuartdv wrote:I think there's a technique which involves heating a metal implement and flattening the leader line with the heated implement then making a hole in it, Then the main line passes through the hole with a knot in the main line securing it but I believe it's only use is for tournament casting rather than fishing.

Doesnt sound very secure to me and not worth the bother really- stick with leader knots.
That's called a blob knot and I wouldn't recommend for a beginner. Tying a leader onto your main line is not difficult. Try the albright knot on www.animatedknots.com

sportcast

Post by sportcast » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Have a look at the link below.

I think this is what you might be thinking of.

http://www.kentsportcast.pwp.blueyonder ... knots.html

A blob knot is where you heat the end of the shockleader with a lighter until it goes into a tiny blob.

Either tap the hot end gently or just allow it to cool.

Then tie a uni knot in the main line around the shockleader, slide it down to the blob and pull tight >:D<

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:47 pm

sportcast wrote:Have a look at the link below.

I think this is what you might be thinking of.

http://www.kentsportcast.pwp.blueyonder ... knots.html

A blob knot is where you heat the end of the shockleader with a lighter until it goes into a tiny blob.

Either tap the hot end gently or just allow it to cool.

Then tie a uni knot in the main line around the shockleader, slide it down to the blob and pull tight >:D<
Yip thats what I was trying to describe (not very vividly or successfully) Cheers

savo

Post by savo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:05 pm

thanks for the feedback everybody, i guess it really was a stupid question !!

I,m going to order some Varivas shockleader from Veals..

So to confirm, i should use an Allbright knot for joining leader to main line ?

What knot is recommended for joining leader to rig via swivel ?

I used a Trilene before, i had found that one easy to tie when practising at home with string, but a different matter with line ( prob not brilliant quality as it came with entry level reel ( shakespeare Targa)

Presumably the varivas leader will be more supple and be easier for knotting?