Pulley Rigs

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
wainy

Pulley Rigs

Post by wainy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:24 pm

I am new to sea fishing and i use very simple rigs. I was wondering what is the pulley rigs and any other useful rigs you think I should know. Cheers for the help!

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:38 pm

Hey I've been sea fishing for just over 3 months now so I'm in the same situation as you are. So far, I've found that Pennel, Pulley and Paternoster are the easiest rigs to use.

A pulley rig is simply a 'U' shaped rig, the main advantage of this is that when you reel in, the heaviest object is dragged behind, reducing snags. It also stops the weight from bashing the fish.

I've found this site very useful for rigs:
http://www.geocities.com/tony2kuk

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:26 pm

It's often better to put two hook baits out because that doubles the scent trail which nearly all fish use at times to hunt down their food. The simplest way to do this is the so called two hook flapper which involves two hook snoods attached to the main body of the rig making sure that they are sufficiently far apart to reduce the possibilty of them tangling together. A flapper rig is shown on this web site which you can view. Personally I prefer the more complex clipped down rigs though because they tend to cast further when you want and the chances of the bait flying off when you cast are considerably reduced.

Northernheart

Post by Northernheart » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:23 pm

ive been using the pully rig just latley and caught a few whiting with no problem
Homemade

Steve

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Sometimes its best to buy 1 rig from the tackle shop so that you have a ready made sample then buy the bits so you can copy it.
I find that a clipped down pulley rig is one of the best to use

zzippy247

Post by zzippy247 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Quick tip to everyone about different rig making styles.....

Order the Gemini catalogue.....it has all the components in it that you need...but the really handy thing is that it has instructions on how to tie most of the rigs you will ever need to know :D

Happy rig tying

Reels_on_wheels

Gemini catalogue

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi zzippy247

Can you tell me where to order the Gemini catalogue from?
I have been searching for it but not been able to find it.
Any information appreciated.

Regards
Reels

wooky114

Post by wooky114 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 am