making rigs

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
lukedash

making rigs

Post by lukedash » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:01 pm

hi,i am going on the charlotte out of dover next month and would like to learn how to make up some boat rigs,this weekend at dungy we lost 11 sets of gear.my mates helped make me up new rigs but i dont want to keep relying on them,anyone have any links or info that can help me,cheers

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:49 pm

There are 3 sections on making rigs on the navigation bar to the left :)
I also find this site very useful:
http://www.geocities.com/tony2kuk/rigs.html

lukedash

Re: .making rigs.

Post by lukedash » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm

hi,cheers great site,looks like i have a lot of work to do.

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Re: .making rigs.

Post by Nem » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:03 pm

lukedash wrote:hi,cheers great site,looks like i have a lot of work to do.
No problem, I believe the main ones are 'paternoster', 'Pennel' and 'pulley' rigs.

mark

Post by mark » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:52 pm

That's a good site, thanks from a beginner. I found this to be helpful also.
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.l.j.knight/rigs.htm

Reels_on_wheels

Making my own rigs, which knots?

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:49 pm

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 pm

This book is a good starting point:

It'll help you master the basics and from that you will start to experiment with your own styles (find the frankenrig and frankenrig Mk2 posts).

Where I have a multihook rig, I use crimps and have not had a problem with them weakening the line. The important thing is to match your crimp diameter to the diameter of your rig body. Too big a crimp will allow the line to shift about and it will cut the rig body eventually (bitter experience on that one!). Get a pair of crimping pliers (Mustad-good and cheap) and remember to squeeze the middle of the crimp and not the end. If you crimp the end it will cut the line. Someone (Mustad maybe?) are now doing a silicon lined crimp that stops the action of crimping from weakening the line. I think that you can also move them up or down once they are crimped. Have a look in the mags, thats where they're usually advertised.

As for attractors, I don't know. Certainly red beads seem to work for sole. I have some rigs that look like christmas trees and they don't catch any more but importantly, they don't catch any less. There is a theory that it's not the colours but the vibration from the beads rattling together that do the attracting. Like most things fishing, it's personal choice.

Hope that helps

Dunc

Reels_on_wheels

Rig making

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks Dunc for the advice. I think I should add this book to my Christmas list and I will have a good read through it.

Cheers
Reels

Reels_on_wheels

Rigs

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi folks
Just another question regarding making rigs. I have been making rigs with 60lb line for the mainline and for the snoods I have been using a very light line of which I don't know how strong it is. It is off of my sons first reel, a small Shakespeare fixed spool. The line is very light and I can snap it with my hands reasonably easy but to be hones the line has not been tested as we have only been catching small fish. I think it is good enough for rotten bottom rigs using this line as the weak link.
My real question is, that I have a spool of 18lb Okuma Ultramax line which is yellow in colour. Would it be alright to use this as the snood on rigs, even though it is coloured yellow and being 18lb, 0.38mm, 4oz.
To be honest these numbers don't mean a great deal to me so I would like some help with what they mean and if it would be suitable for using as line for snoods?
Thanks
Reels

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 pm

I will generally use 20 or 25lb clear Amnesia for my hooklength. If I know theres going to be something around with teeth of any note, I'll go for 30lb Amnesia. Does colour make a difference? Don't really know for sure. I did start off with the black Amnesia and when I switched to clear my catch rate improved. Just a note on rig bodies-use the same strength line (or better) for your rig body as for your shockleader. There'd be no point in having 80lb leader and then a 60lb weaker link between the end of your leader and the lead!

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Re: Rigs

Post by crazy-dude » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:52 pm

Reels_on_wheels wrote:Hi folks
Just another question regarding making rigs. I have been making rigs with 60lb line for the mainline and for the snoods I have been using a very light line of which I don't know how strong it is. It is off of my sons first reel, a small Shakespeare fixed spool. The line is very light and I can snap it with my hands reasonably easy but to be hones the line has not been tested as we have only been catching small fish. I think it is good enough for rotten bottom rigs using this line as the weak link.
My real question is, that I have a spool of 18lb Okuma Ultramax line which is yellow in colour. Would it be alright to use this as the snood on rigs, even though it is coloured yellow and being 18lb, 0.38mm, 4oz.
To be honest these numbers don't mean a great deal to me so I would like some help with what they mean and if it would be suitable for using as line for snoods?
Thanks
Reels
Hi reels
The 18lb is the breaking strain of the line
The 0.38mm is the diameter of the line
The 4oz is the weight/amount of line on the spool

18lb line can be used for catching and playing bigger fish but you need to be aware of the fish size and if it is bigger than 18lb you may need to adjust the drag setting on your reel.
most reels give examples of how much line can be held on the spool. eg 0.28mm/330m. 0.40mm/175m. The lower the diameter the more line the spool can hold.
With regards the weight 4oz, I prefer line that lists the length rather than the weight as it is easier knowing that you have enough line to fill your spool.
Yes is the answer 18lb should be ok for making snoods.
I use 20lb MemoreX memory free line

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 am

I recently experimented by passing the rig body line through a small piece of tubing twice - creating a stop knot. I put one of these either side of the swivel instead of using crimps, the idea being that it is adjustable and doesn't cut the line.

Seemed to work OK - anyone had any adverse experiences?

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Would appreciate feedback on my last post> Am I making a big mistake here or will stop knots with tubing do the job?

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:50 pm

wotnofish wrote:Would appreciate feedback on my last post> Am I making a big mistake here or will stop knots with tubing do the job?
any chance that you could post a picture of the rig so that we can see exactly what you are doing?
:-/

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 am

If you are using crimps, make sure you don't tighten them up too much. I had a 7oz lead go sideways at Orford on Saturday purely for this reason. I think this is probably just as important as using a shockleader, and is often overlooked.