Pennel pulley long distance rig

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Trembler

Pennel pulley long distance rig

Post by Trembler » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 am

Hi everyone
Can someone please help me.

I read quite a bit about split rigs for distance casting and ordered a pulley rig on line from a major angling outlet. It arrived but had very little instruction on how to set it up and I have looked at it every which way but cannot figure out for the life of me how it works. I am sure someone must be familiar with this rig and would welcome some advice on how to set it up. For instance it talks of fastening the hook behind the impact shield, but I cannot see how the release will work when it hits the water. I am going down to Bognor Regis this weekend and would really like to use this rig.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 pm

Easy mate. Top of rig to leader, breakaway impact lead on the bottom. Put on your bait and then pull the bottom hook don and clip it over the bait clip on the lead. When it hits the water, the plastic shield is pushed up which then releases the bait. Try it dry and see how the hook is pushed off.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Have a look at this link- http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/r009t.html

there's a picture of a pulley pennel rig-

On the main line of the pulley rig you should either have a link or a swivel- in the picture it's a link but yours might be a swivel depending on the manuafacturer- you attach this to your main line then basically the bottom hook clips onto either the link your lead is attached to in the case of the picture or in your case the impact shield- the impact on the water should release the hook from the shield.

When baiting up thread your bait through the bottom hook and use the pennel hook (the one that slides up and down the line) to secure the bait.

Hope this makes sense- if not- just shout

Cheers

Trembler

Post by Trembler » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:04 pm

DuncBooth5 wrote:Easy mate. Top of rig to leader, breakaway impact lead on the bottom. Put on your bait and then pull the bottom hook don and clip it over the bait clip on the lead. When it hits the water, the plastic shield is pushed up which then releases the bait. Try it dry and see how the hook is pushed off.
I follow you up to breakawayimpact lead on the bottom then I m stuck - The bait hook slides up down between two beads . below the bottom is the breakaway impact and above the top bead is the the pulley made up of a clip and small swivel. How does the pulley come into play and does it play a role in securing the hook to the impact lead device. And then where on the impact lead do you fasten your hook. I would send a diagram if I could.

Thanks for your advice[/img]

Trembler

Post by Trembler » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 pm

stuartdv wrote:Have a look at this link- http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/r009t.html

there's a picture of a pulley pennel rig-

On the main line of the pulley rig you should either have a link or a swivel- in the picture it's a link but yours might be a swivel depending on the manuafacturer- you attach this to your main line then basically the bottom hook clips onto either the link your lead is attached to in the case of the picture or in your case the impact shield- the impact on the water should release the hook from the shield.

When baiting up thread your bait through the bottom hook and use the pennel hook (the one that slides up and down the line) to secure the bait.

Hope this makes sense- if not- just shout

Cheers
Hi
Sorry I may have mislead you with my description the rig i have bought can be seen at http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDeta ... 5ffac0cac0
If possible could you a quick look at it and make a comment.
Many thanks

Bread

Post by Bread » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:34 pm

clip the bottom hook down onto the impact shield at the bottom of the rig. The impact shield should slide up and down so that the trace is in a straigh line.

Hope that helps.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Here you are mate- this is the link to the same gemini website showing your rig- its a bigger picture and a bit clearer to see how it works- its a kind of up and over rig with a free running snood length rather than with a standard pennel which is fixed.

Hook the snood line with your hook on over the clip as shown then run the hook down and clip it to the impact shield- once you lift the rig up with your rod everything will go taut so you can cast- it should all release once it hits the water.

It'll all become clear if you connect it all up when its attached to your mainline with rod/reel etc.

http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/r012t.html

Hope that helps