What fish do these rigs attract

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
Trembler

Post by Trembler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I am new here so please bear with me if my questions seem a bit inane. I am am predominantly a coarse fish angler wanting to do a bit sea fishing (from a pier or beach). A while ago Matt Heyes sold a starter kit on one of the auction channels on TV which included a rod, fixed spool reel and three pre-made rigs. They all appear to be paternoster but on two of them there are lures - one with yellow plastic balls just above the hook with a small silver spoon and the other a small tag of white ribbon on each hook (incidentally the white ribbon rig has four hooks attached - is that legal) I need to know two things please 1. What fish I am targetting by using the lures and 2. Do I add bait as well and if so what bait?

Thanks guys

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm

Hello and welcome! :D

are you sure its for sea fishing? :oops:
if they are lures of some kind then you will have to cast and retrieve them. i wouldnt trust matt hayes as he likes catching big goldfish! :twisted:

Trembler

Post by Trembler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:10 pm

Yes they came with the kit.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:39 pm

Trembler

Post by Trembler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi Eccles
Thanks for your advice and information - I'm a bit wiser and amused at what people think of Matt Hayes. I was aware of the size limitation and was more concerned with the number of hooks on a line, as I read somewhere the limit was three. (Can't tell you where now- don' recall)

Thanks again.

MJB

Post by MJB » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:41 pm

eccles wrote: The four hooks with ribbon on sound like a half arsed attempt at mackerel feathers. There are much better mackerel feather lures out there, look in the average coastal tackle shop and you will see them.
When I used to do standard beach fishing and wanted to feather up a few Mackerel I would use the 'ribbon' type lures before any other. One things for sure they're not "half-arsed attempts". I suspect that the kit is probably from Fladen and that the spoon rig is the sort of paternoster rig the Scandinavians like to use when jigging from a boat for Cod or Coalfish. I doubt Matt Hayes had much to do with the content of the kit aside from making some dosh from them using his name.

As for peoples opinions of him, you don't win the Drennan cup by being a total amateur and if he applied himself to beachfishing like he does with his coarse fishing, then he'd soon show up the 'experts'.

Trembler

Post by Trembler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanx MJB. Yes I agree with you about Matt Hayes.

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:55 pm

Interesting point you make about getting visited by the Fisheries Officer Eccles.

Don't know if you read a previous thread about Minimum sizes, but some people seem to think that there is a "grey area" about them applying to RSAs.