pennell rig advice please

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
babelfish

pennell rig advice please

Post by babelfish » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Got my Sea Angling rigs book out and all the bits to start constructing ready for a trip at the week end but as i look at the diagram of the rig i want a few questions come to mind !The rig i'm trying to make is a 'clipped down pennell',question is 1-how does one thread a number of lugworms onto the hooks and up the snood ,And 2 how is the dangling hook prevented from sliding down the snood towards the other hook?Any advice would be most welcome-i'm off to Dungeness Saterday and last time i was hoiking out tiddlers nearly every cast on a flapper rig -this time i'm upping the bait size in the hope of something more sporting!

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:17 pm

1-how does one thread a number of lugworms onto the hooks and up the snood
Just thread them up from the base hook :?
And 2 how is the dangling hook prevented from sliding down the snood towards the other hook?
The are many ways to do this but the method I use is too first push some small clear rubber tubing up the line then the first hook then wrap the line around that hook about 3 times then pull the sleaving back down over the shank of that hook that will keep that hook in position and if you like at the same time being able to be adjusted :wink:

Cheers
mrix

babelfish

pennell rig advice

Post by babelfish » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks for that Mrix - so you've threaded a few worms then! :oops: I'll just have to get some practice .Tubing is the answer for the hook securement then -sounds like some worms will be having a hard time on saterday as i perfect their presentation.Thats if the storm dies down! Cheers Babelfish

VifferRider
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by VifferRider » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:30 pm

I agree with MRIX

If you do not have thin enough Tubing (like me) - I used some Twin and earth wiring & stripped out the copper core & threaded that onto the line

Works fine for me :wink:

babelfish

Post by babelfish » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:15 pm

vifferRider i'm there with the thin tubing-the stuff i've got is a bit tight but with a bit of effort will go over the hook.Mind you neerly hooked myself in doing so.cheers

Reels_on_wheels

Pennel rig help

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi folks
Just another daft question about the pennel rig. I understand that it is just two hooks on the same snood but how do you secure the second hook. I have looked at many pictures and looked through the forum and people have suggested using striiped out twin and earth cabling and this works. I was going to buy some of the neoprene as on this link:
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalo ... pment.html
There is silicone rig tubing or this other neoprene sleve that allows you to move the hook up or down.
I have made numerous rigs now, rotten bottom, two and three hook flappers, but I have been using sand eels latelty and a pennel rig was suggested as you get a double chance with the two hooks. I am just looking for any tips or advice regarding building pennel rigs. I also planned to use an impact sheild if this makes any differene to the rig.
Cheers
Reels

Selbs

Post by Selbs » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Reels_on_wheels

Pennel rig help

Post by Reels_on_wheels » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi Selbs

Thanks for the tip. I have looked at this diagram nuerous times and this is exactly what I had planned to make.
I had a look on the RS website and found neoprene expandable rubber sleeves that go from 1.25 to 2mm so this is something I need to look into.
Merry Christmas

Reels