home made rigs?

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
petersclan
Occasional
Occasional

home made rigs?

Post by petersclan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:17 pm

HIYA,

I AM MAKING ALL MY OWN RIGS NOW RATHER THAN BUYING, THEY ARE CATCHING ME FISH FREQUENTLY MAINLY DOGGIES AND POLLACK!

I ONLY HAVE A LINE WITH 2 SNOODS USING SIZE 4 HOOKS AND A 6OZ SINKER, WITH BEADS ON THE SNOODS. I AM WONDERING WETHER I SHOULD BE USING SOME OF THE SEQUINS ETC I SEE IN THE MAGAZINES AND CRIMPS ETC MAKING RIGS MORE COMPLICATED OR JUST KEEP GOING AS I AM?

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:59 am

might want to go for smaller hooks (say a 2/0) on one rig and see how it goes fishing with the 4s one one rod and the 2 on the other.

what size fish are you catching on the size 4s ?

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:34 am

a 4 is alot smaller than a 2/0 lol i dont think he meant he was using 4/0's...

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:50 pm

Must confess I am slightly amazed Peter that you have not made yer own rigs before. I always have and provided you understand what a swivel is for and which knots to use, it aint that difficult. I have even invented a rig of my own which I use all the time: I wanted a rig which would present two hooks, would not tangle (much) and would allow the line to slide through the weight so that shy fish would not be spooked by feeling the resistance of the weight. It does not cast that well but I have achieved it and it has caught a lot of bream this summer albeit only 60 to 80 yds out. I am going to use it again directly this weather blows away because I have recently discovered a very likely spot for dabs and I want one or two for dinner.

petersclan
Occasional
Occasional

Post by petersclan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:21 pm

WE ARE CATCHING DOGGIES UP TO ABOUT 2FT LONG AND SMALL POLLACK MAINLY

sorry bout the capitals lol....... havnt really caught much else as yet but trying

oh and some fair sized garfish in weymouth too

i am no longer buying rigs, gunna make our own and have a fair few knocked up ready to be used, some one and 2 hook rigs on fair lengh snoods

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

home made rigs

Post by MadKev » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 pm

There's nothing like the confidence that comes from your own tied rigs, but you can get locked into a same-old same-old syndrome.
1. When you're catching at a reasonable rate, consider why? Are the fish on the hook nearest or farthest from the sea bed? Do they take the red or the yellow beaded hook? Are you missing bites? (Go to asmaller hook size to remedy this). After making your considerations, adjust the rig - perhaps tie another snood even higher up, or a much longer one at the bottom, mix the hook sizes or whatever. If it works, think why, then go home and make this new rig from scratch, with copies in different hook sizes. In time you will create, not just a massive variety of rigs, but more importantly an understanding of why they work or not. For example, in a strong tide run the smallest species will hug the bottom - at slack water they will rise a little, or a lot. Does the hook farthest from the lead start to take fish at slack water? Is this the reason why? Are you catching more fish with wired leads than plain (self-hooking traps overcoming mono stretch)? Try to understand the 'why' of it all, not the 'how': you'll never buy a shop-bought rig again.
2. When you ain't catching, change rigs and bait until you are. The fish don't know the rules.

VifferRider
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by VifferRider » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Excellent reply MadKev - sums up the challenge of fishing - learn by your mistakes :D

petersclan
Occasional
Occasional

Post by petersclan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:28 pm

i agree! brilliant response and thanks very much, that has really helped me understand and i shall start watching how i catch and adjust accordingly

blakdog

Making your own rigs

Post by blakdog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Just be very careful with the rig glue - it sticks monofilament to Labradors much too easily to be safe!