rigs ?

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:49 pm

Thanks for that Concrete; I'll add one to my collection.

concrete

Post by concrete » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 pm

These are the type of clips I was making 20 years ago, things are much improved now. I find impact shields 100% efficient and the leads not far behind. I would never go back to bent wire clips. If you haven't tried impact shields then I suggest you do, you won't go back to wire. Two important things to remember:

Only use genuine Breakaway shields and follow the instructions on the packet.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 pm

I guess its horses for courses on this one as I've tried the breakaway ones and couldn't get on with them although I have to admit that I like the breakaway impact leads for some of my rigs.

concrete

Post by concrete » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:02 pm

What didn't you like about the shields?

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:06 pm

I kept getting rigs back with the bait still attached!! I'm more than happy to admit that it may have just been inexperience in my use of them as it was some time ago and I may well give them another try now that I'm a little older and wiser.

concrete

Post by concrete » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:12 pm

That generally only happens if you cast low and hard. I get a lot of height with my casts so the rig enters the water almost vertically. I never have them hang up. Premature release is bad news, but not to release at all is worse :lol:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:16 pm

ooer missus!! :lol: :lol: I don't think my cast could be described as low and hard-more like high and limp!! :lol: :lol:

concrete

Post by concrete » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Unfortunately the late nights and constant work has caught up with Mr and Mrs concrete, so we are off to the land of nod and big fish. Strangely I never dream of fishing, then I suppose I have to give it a rest sometimes :lol: . Still Dunwich tomorrow night. COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD COD......................................................Maybe.

Goodnight all.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Enjoy. I'm skating at Tower hill tomorrow!!! :lol: :lol:

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:22 am

Try the fox impact shields dunc if you dont like the breakaway ones... could be down to the tension of the snood once in the bait clip or to too much bait on the hook and it is interfering with the impact shield. The only time when i have had problems with hooks not realeasing from bait clips is when using gemini srt springs. Could try buying a ready made one with a impact shield then you will know if it is down to the way you make the rig or the way you cast?

The only rigs i use are up n over rigs with a pennel 3/0 and a 2/0 short shank on the top. And various 3/2 hook flappers and clipped versions.

I used to use pully rigs but replaced it with the up n over as reckon it gives better bite detection and the bait is nearer the sea bed.

Birnside

Post by Birnside » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:40 am

I make my own rigs & the ones which produce the best catches are the Bomber & the Wishbone.
From my own experience & as has already been mentioned here the Breakaway shields are better on the Bomber rig as the wire bait clips dont always release the baits.
For me the Bomber has produced good results for Codling Whiting & Bass & the Wishbone good results for Flounders.
I have tried jazzing up the Wishbones with coloured beads & sequins, but to be honest I find they work better without them.

I have used ready made rigs from tackle shops before, but I now give them a wide berth as they have let me down in the past by falling apart (knots coming undone). One thing which I notice about ready made rigs is that they dont always suit the type of fishing which they are labelled as being suitable for.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 am

As a matter of interest, why do so many folk use long snoods? I only use them when boat fishing so that they flow out in the tide. For beach fishing my longest snood is no more than 30 cms but I still catch regularly. My mate almost always uses a two hook running ledger with 15 to 20 cm snoods and he catches more than me (which is dam annoying of course). Last October I was fishing for sole one night with a running ledger and very short snoods (as one does) and something grabbed it almost as it hit the water: Hauled in a very feisty and large mackerel to my utter amazement!

Bread

Post by Bread » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:35 am

eccles wrote:As a matter of interest, why do so many folk use long snoods? I only use them when boat fishing so that they flow out in the tide. For beach fishing my longest snood is no more than 30 cms but I still catch regularly. My mate almost always uses a two hook running ledger with 15 to 20 cm snoods and he catches more than me (which is dam annoying of course). Last October I was fishing for sole one night with a running ledger and very short snoods (as one does) and something grabbed it almost as it hit the water: Hauled in a very feisty and large mackerel to my utter amazement!

Long snoods are good to keep the bait away from the lead so it is presented better for the fish. If the water is very chopy though with a lot of tide run, then I use shorter snoods so that the bait isn't thrashing around too much on the sea bed.

Long snoods work brilliantly with whole squid on a DVice - give it a go.