Losing tackle in snags.

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
concrete

Losing tackle in snags.

Post by concrete » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:25 pm

It seems to me that a lot of people on here keep losing tackle in snags. Most snags are the result of people losing gear in the first place. Often this is from cracking off 'cos they haven' t used a leader or that they have tied p*ss poor knots. I know that I write a lot about Walton Pier on here, but thats just because we happen to be going there lately 'cos the fishing's so good. Some of the rigs we drag in off of there are quite frankly appalling, if not down right dangerous. If you tie your knots correctly, use the right line strength and use a leader you won't add to the snags. Also, if you are on a snag pit reel in as fast as possible so that your gear is not dragging along the sea bed for too long. If you continue to lose gear then move. It's no good being lazy, staying put and then complaining that you've left all of your tackle behind. Just one more thing, often the snaggiest of venues is where the best fishing is, so it may just be a case of accepting it. I keep all of my old but usable leads for just such places. I know of one beach in Walton where you will lose loads of gear even with 25lb line, but on it's day the fishing can be bl**dy brilliant.

Lecture over-time for bed said Zebedee-boing

Night-night. (or is it good morning?)

concrete.

concrete

Post by concrete » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:37 pm

I think that medlars kind of fishing would come as a bit of a shock for most clean beach anglers. I've done a fair bit of wrassing in the channel islands in years gone by, so I know all about losing gear, worth it though for the good catches.

concrete.

daiwa
Advanced User
Advanced User

snags

Post by daiwa » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:38 am

good topic!! evrey one hates snags,its a pain in the ass,,the worst is when you have a good fish and on the wind back you get snaged!! it happend to gingerangler on sunday at fambridge!! gutting, i dont think any one would like seeing a fish with a rig stuck in it!!

keep using lead lifts and pully rigs lol,, ha ha,, :lol:

sharkey

Post by sharkey » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:59 am

When I find myself snagged I walk backwards until the line is just about to break and standstill, usually (down felixstowe anyway) it will free from the snag.
Failing that I let out a little line and move to the left or right and try to reel in.

Are there any other methods people use to get out of a snag. :?:

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:27 am

well lads thats the kind of ground i like to fish,rocks and kelp beds,dont go in for clean beaches and piers.No i am not lazy,i stay where the fish are,my knots are tied properly,if i use a leader it is attached to my mainline by a bimini twist,yet i do lose gear,mostly sinkers as i use rotten bottoms.But hey,thats where the fish are and thats where you will find me

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 am

atleast you dont need to blast a lead out miles medlar, bet you dont get many birdies either lol

on the rottom botom note how long of a line do youhave between the link and the lead?

i normally use about a ft of line but have gone to 3ft before

gingerangler
Regular
Regular

Post by gingerangler » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:36 am

Guys, new to this, but what's the point in having a big shock leader if you use rotten bottoms? Wont the weight snap away at the "rotten bottom" point?

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:29 am

Thom,i normally have a 10" length of weak line mate,you sare correct about not needing distance from the rock edges,but if by some miracle i ended up fishing a clean beach where i needed distance,thats where my pendulum comes in
Normally on my SL30SH i have 35lb line straight through.on my super mags i have 20lb line with 60lb shockleader

You cant beat rocks and kelp beds lads,have a go

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:11 pm

Medlar,

Can you point me inthe right direction of a website which shows you how to construct a rotten bottom?

Cheers

Stuartdv

concrete

Post by concrete » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:09 pm

I usually find a good hot curry works :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

concrete.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Concrete-

You're a right comedian- you shoudl give up the concrete business and take to the stage-

I sent you a PM regarding Dunwich just to check where it is ok to fish

concrete

Post by concrete » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:27 pm

Can't see anything in my PM's. My favourite spot at Dunwich is about 300 yards north of the metal gate. Don't fish in front of the car park unless you have plenty of leads to lose. If you have the room, try my rolling lead method, but don't use a grip lead 'cos it won't move. There are lots of gullies off of the beach there and you need to be in one of them for the codling. If you can't roll a lead, just vary your distance until you find the fish. Night is usually better.

conrete.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:32 pm

Cheers Concrete-

Basically the message I sent was whether you could fish there as its National Trust property but I think I might be confusing Dunwich with Dunwich Heath which is where the National Trust cafe and shop is- thats where we tend to go for winter walks- down the footpath and onto the beach. Am I in the same spot that you're referring to or is Dunwich itself somewhere further up

C|heers

Stuart

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Stuart this is 1 of many types of rotten bottom ( easy release links) links you can buy,you attach this link Image

to the end of your rig body,then use a weaker piece of line,attach that to your sinker,the other end of the weak line tie to your clip at the end of your rig body if you have 1 fitted,if not tie it to the eye at the top of the release link,lift the bead/button and a leg will drop down,thread this leg through the eye of ya sinker,lift the leg up and fit the bead/button back over the leg.

here is a different type of rotten bottom set up

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Cheers Medlar

Much appreciated

Stuart