joining rigs to main line

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
lewypalmer

joining rigs to main line

Post by lewypalmer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:47 pm

i have been using a swivel permently on the end of my main line and tying rigs to this. im looking at using a gemini link to save tying knots in the freezing cold.

my question is where is it best to have the link on the mainline or the rig? or are there better methods.

stowaway
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stowaway » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:41 am

I have a link at the end of my shockleader and start all my rigs with a swivel ;)

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:34 am

as with stowaway i have a genie clip on the end of my shockleader as it makes it a lot easier to change rigs

Dave :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 am

Yes, I do the same and choose those clips that look a bit like paper clips. I also choose a size that will go through the rod eyes so that they can remain permanently on the end of my mainline/shockleader. This means that I can usually make my first cast within about 5 minutes or so of arriving at the beach and if I catch something which is difficult to unhook, I simply unclip the whole rig, clip on a fresh rig and cast again.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:15 am

I have recently been shon the benefits of this way attaching rigs especially as the first timeI used it was in a comp so I was able to double pat and always have a rig out. I tie my rig link to the shock which as eccles said allows me to thread the line through the rings on rod quicker allowing me to get that all important first cast out quicker.