Buy ready made rigs? Or Design Your own?

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
MikeCodswaller

Buy ready made rigs? Or Design Your own?

Post by MikeCodswaller » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 am

I tend to make up my own rigs, trying mixed variations of the popular rigs that you buy ready made, so what do u lot think?

shorty

Post by shorty » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:17 am

WELCOME to the mad house mike , as for rigs i allways make my own ,the trick is to buy one of each of the many rigs available and then copy/adapt to your area/style of fishing ,trial and error im fraid ,you can alter hook sizes ,types of hooks, line breaking stain etc you will lose rigs so dont worry about it any probs just ask we will answer ,just watch out for the moderaters they think they are gods =)) =)) espcially gazz, dazza and rabbi the biggest loonies on this forum
tight lines :D :D

MikeCodswaller

lol

Post by MikeCodswaller » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:25 pm

cheers, been sea fishing now for 15 years, started designing my own rigs about 2 yrs ago, they catch fish lol thats what matters.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:01 pm

Buy em then copy em then improve em to suit your needs. Cheers keith :D :D :D

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 pm

That is what i have started to do and I can say it works a treat especially my pennel pulley with a 2- hook flapper above

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 am

Haven't bought a rig for years. Make my own mainly because I can't quite get what I want from a plastic packet. Use you imagination is my advice. I use all kinds of odd bits and bobs in my rigs such as electrical cable, scrap lead and shaped bits of cork and plastic foam. All to achieve exactly what I want. I remember when old High Stoker was alive, he used old spark plugs for sinkers - "cos it doesn't matter if they get snagged".

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:14 am

Old spark plugs were ( in thing ) in out day. They were cetainly more enviromental friendly, cost nowt and were in abundace. Well suited to piers rocky outcrops and harbour walls.

Seeing that spark plugs were in two sizes, there were only two different weights so you didn't have to keep adjusting your reel.

Ahhh for those simple day's with a bamboo stick and a bent pin. lol
Cheers keith :D :D :D