wishbone rigs

Discussion of sea fishing rigs, clip down, wishbone, up and over, flapper and long distance rigs.
philski

wishbone rigs

Post by philski » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:31 pm

i have recently read of the advantages of a wishbone rig and have read up how to make them my plan is to use a trace on one rod and a wishbone on the other but am not sure whether to cast long or short or what affect it will have this time of year of r/gate deal peir i fish with a 12ftand multi and a ten ft and fiexd can anyone hadvise the best way to use this cheers all

solehunter

Post by solehunter » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:18 pm

If using a wishbone trace above the weight i would cast a medium distance so if the tides pulling, it should stay on the bottom!
If i was to drop over the pier i would make the wishbone into a running ledger, but with a wishbone as a trace! (make sense?) sorry should have not had the last pint! :oops:

Tim
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Tim » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi,
I can only speak for Deal Pier here, but having tried a wishbone there last year I found it snagged more than any other rig I'd tried, so I switched back to pulley pennel/pennels for the bigger baits.

Having said that, what Solehunter suggests seems to make sense to me and that might be worth a try for bass from spring onwards (using mackerel and squid separately on each hook), as I should imagine short-medium range casting could be all that is possible with such a rig - no such worries on a pier of course, though the snags might remain a problem...

Worth a try though
Tight lines
Tim

philski

thanks

Post by philski » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:46 pm

thanks guys i appreciate the info i will give that a try and see how it goes thanks again

pennpusher

Post by pennpusher » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:26 pm

tried a wishbone to good effect over clean ground a couple of weeks ago.Fished with the wishbone above the weight , cast mid range and used with size 2 hooks for scratching.had nothing decent, but wasnt expecting much at this time of year...still getting double shots though.Apatr from the increased scent you have also got the advantage of the added interest by your bait when one of the hooks gets a take.Definitely worth a try

solehunter

Post by solehunter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Some good posts there, i hear you have the bad luck of a lot of snags at deal tim? That's a real bummer! My local Pier was dredged by an oyster dredge and cleared of balls of tackle a few years ago! I heard the amount of weights he got strained his winch! Bung the local fishing boat to clear it for you and pick up the gear!!!!! 8) :lol: :wink:

viking

Wishbone rigs

Post by viking » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:03 am

I have found them very effective ,i put 3 or 4 green lumi beads on to my traces

bigguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bigguy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:55 am

the wishbone rig works weel for flatties mainly, with beads and sequines. if only being dropped over the side or lobbed then i would set it up as a running leger. if fishing over 20 yards then fix your snood ( i use quite long snoods to give more movement) just below your trace swivel. i personaly clip them down as i would usually be using delicate ragworm baits, so it gives the bait a little protection.

deal pier was cleared a few months ago, but now the snags are back again, especially down the bottom. last time i spoke to the skipper that removes the snags he said that it needs a big blow to loosen the snags, otherwise he'll just loose the grapnal.

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:09 pm

you could try making n using your own grappling hook pput it on a stick and fling it out to clear the area you are fishing in and you get free lead!