Masterline powermaster

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
Andymoods
Occasional
Occasional

Masterline powermaster

Post by Andymoods » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:52 pm

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi Andy and welcome.

If you're just starting out, the rod you use isn't going to make much difference. I guess most of us started out with cheap end kit and, as we got more in to it and maybe improved our casting, moved up to the next step. You don't need expensive gear to learn the basics and have a bit of fun. Not only that, you might hate it!

As for it being masterline, I had a couple of their reels early on. They don't have the fancy tapered spools and mega-tritanium turbo nutty whassamadoodle thingies but, they are a well made reel that will take a bit of abuse.

Hope that helps a bit

Dunc

soleman

Post by soleman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:02 am

Hi andy

following on from Duncs sound advice, its worth remembering like all things in life you get what you pay for, but for someone just starting out its better to stick with cheap and cheerfull until you have progressed enough or actually decide to take the sport up more seriously before going to any real expense.
So long as you clean your stuff down after each trip it will last a good few seasons, salt plays havoc with even the most expensive kit but will surely render the more cheaper stuff useless very quickly if not cared for properly.

Good luck and if your in the area of the East coast come along to a few of our meets, its the best way to learn and you'll also see what other poeple are using which may help when you want to progress onto more gear.

Bread

Post by Bread » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:56 am

If you look in tackle shops that sell sea fishing gear, you can usually get hold of the old Shakespeare 13 foot beach casters easily (I think its called the Contender). They are usually about 10-15 quid and work perfectly well. I've had one that I used for about 6months that was a hand-me-down and is still going strong.

For a reel, Okuma are doing a great range of budget reels, and I got one brand new for 12 quid fully spooled for my daughter. The tripod you are choosing seems a little pver priced and if you want to only fish sandy beaches or shingle with a single rod then a sand spike for about 10 quid might be better.

Don't worry about the gear for now, jsut see if you enjoy the sport. if you do, re-mortgage your house and buy your own body weight in fishing gear :D

You can always keep the old stuff for emergencies or sell it on for half the price to someone else. The January sales will be full of cheap gear, so if you can hang on until then - do so.

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:58 pm

Andymoods
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Andymoods » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:23 pm

thanks for the advice, I would be intrested in the east coast meets how do I find out where and when they are?

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Keep you eye out for the Orford Beach Clean meets especially. The next one will be a few months away but some of the guys will advertise that they are going fishing in the East Coast posts as well. If they do, just PM them and most would probably be happy for you to tag along.

Provided that you don't have any nasty habits.

Or turn in to a mad axe murderer at midnight. :D :D

soleman

Post by soleman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Bread wrote: Don't worry about the gear for now, jsut see if you enjoy the sport. if you do, re-mortgage your house and buy your own body weight in fishing gear :D

Ahh I see now why Dunc always has 2 trips to make for all his kit at Orford :D :D :D

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:46 pm

It don't take a great deal of intelligence to be uncomfortable! The first trip is the fishing kit. The second id for the hot and cold running servants, 3 course meal, kitchen and suite of lounge furniture! :D :D