IMAX rods and Okuma reel?

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
Thom
Regular
Regular

IMAX rods and Okuma reel?

Post by Thom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:25 am

Ok hey guys, as many of you now know im on a return to sea angling after losing the will to live coarse angling.

I'm about to recieve two grand for my coarse gear and was thinking of kitting out my sea fishing stuff once more with some nice new gear :)

I currently have a conoflex nemesis (for long casting and rough ground), a penn villain (long casting, mixed ground) and a ron thompson axcellerator (for hauling 200lb skate over 'minefields' :D )

I also use Penn 525 and 535 GS reels that have been modified to suit my casting ability, however these are now only suited to casting long distance which is sort of what i don't want from them now.

I was looking at the okuma mag reel, it looks virtually identical to penn 535/sl30sh reels. am i right in thinking this?

Also, okuma make some excellent reels, is this the case or would i be betetr off just buying a couple 525 extra's.

On the note of Imax rods, how are they rated, im looking to replace my axcellerator with something a bit lighter but just as strong, im not sure such a rod exists and i know the axcellerator is rated as one of the strongest rods available...

any advice appreciated! thanks guys =]

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:46 am

I think you know more than a lot of us do Thom, just so you realise it I will tell you that my usual efforts take place with a Shakespeare Salt Beach Rod and an Okuma FS or if in the boat an Ugly Stick Sapphire + TLD15. I am perfectly happy with this sort of kit because I catch fairly regularly which is what it's all about. Concrete seems to know more than most, perhaps he will dive in shortly.

Bread

Post by Bread » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:16 am

Both me and StuartDV have had broken end plates on the new Penn Supermag Extras, and I'm sceptical of the Okuma Magnetix build quality (I have both the Penn and the Okuma). The Okuma doesn't have the cranking power of the Penn either, so I think you would struggle with it over rough ground.

To be honest, I wouldn't get another Supermag Extra as I don't think (on reflection) they are worth the extra money - instead I would just get the Mag Extra or the Supermag.

As far as rods are concerned, I'vce heard good things about the IMAX 4 Stroke 6 but have never used one.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:03 pm

right on the advice ill steer clear of the okuma reel as i do need the power of the penn series.

So super mag, refresh my meory as ive had a break away, the super mag is just the mag with 2 extar brake blocks?

or was it the knobby rather than slidy?

mbmailler

Post by mbmailler » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:48 am

i cant see what ur problem is with the okuma its a cracking reel great for casting and the retrive is fantastic ill take 1 of these ove the 525s any day