Newbie Rod/Reel Question. Please Help!

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
Grem

Newbie Rod/Reel Question. Please Help!

Post by Grem » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:44 pm

Right,

I know people will be thinking 'oh yet another one!' but about 10 years ago I got a rod and reel, with the idea of going fishing. Now I have time, i'd like to have another go and see if I still enjoy it.
I'm not really out to catch the biggest fish in existance, but to just sit by the coast and relax, and do a bit of fishing.

I would like to know whether the equipment I have would be remotely suitable for dabling into sea fishing. Baring in mind its a good few years old (but still completely unused and brand new), I can't remember what type of fishing it's actually for! (or whether its decent enough!)

The rod I have is a Kingfisher 12ft Match Rod, manufactured from Carbon Composite. I don't know any more about the rod than that, sorry.

The reel I have is a Kingfisher 300X.

If it's suitable, what sort of line should I use on it?

I don't really want to spend money buying new kit when i've got this here, and when I won't use it very often, only a few times a year. However if neither rod nor reel is in no way suitable I may have to!

Sorry for sounding such a novice, but I can't find any information on neither rod nor reel!

Thanks in advance.

Grem.

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:56 pm

As little as I know about fishing, I'm quite sure that Kingfisher's are Carp rods. I may be wrong again but if I remember correctly many people use these for bass and flounder fishing with a 10lb line?

Grem

Post by Grem » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:18 pm

Hmm ok. That's a good start. So the rod is suitable for sea fishing then I take it?

I have doubts about the reel though. Any ideas from anyone?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease... B-)

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 pm

I think Nem is right. I have a vague recollection of seeing that make of rods in Argos catalogues some time back. Could be mistaken though. I would be inclined to pick up a sea rod and reel from a boot sale or for sale ads/Ebay or wherever. Again if you are not intent on blasting baits out in a howling gale and rather doing a bit of quiet estuary bassing or whatever they may suffice. :)