Head Torches

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
Bread

Head Torches

Post by Bread » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:10 am

Hi,

has anyone got any experience using the Tiga Luxeon LED L1 headlamp ?I'm considering either this one or the Speleo Nova 5.

I've ruled out the Tiga SL12 / SL85 now as although it is a brighter head lamp, I think the battery pack would be too heavy.

I've seen the Nova 5 in use, but not the Tiga so any comments on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks !

blakdog

Re: Head Torches

Post by blakdog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:17 am

Bread wrote:Hi,

has anyone got any experience using the Tiga Luxeon LED L1 headlamp ?I'm considering either this one or the Speleo Nova 5.

I've ruled out the Tiga SL12 / SL85 now as although it is a brighter head lamp, I think the battery pack would be too heavy.

I've seen the Nova 5 in use, but not the Tiga so any comments on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks !
Avoid anything with a seperate battery...bloody nightmare and defeats the object - too heavy!!! And don't get anything too bright...scares the Bass if it illuminates half the Uk coastline and you end up on your own as no bugger will fish with you cos you keep blinding them.

I have a nice little self contained MFA...cheap, reliable and plenty of light for me...and it weighs bugger all.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:34 pm

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 pm

Horses for courses- I generally only use my small LED head torch for baiting up or when there's ambient light but when I'm fishing alone in the depths of winter I'll take the Tiga (or something similar) every time. In saying that my night vision isnt particularly good and the Tiga makes life a hell of a lot easier all round.

If you're planning night time sessions from rocks a decent headtorch is indispensable.

I've not had any problems with people not talking to me when I'm using the Tiga but then again I turn it off apart from when I need it but f people dont want to talk to me when using it that suits me just fine as I'm generally an anti-social type.

Thinking about it maybe I'll use the Tiga more often.

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:38 pm

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:24 pm

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:10 pm

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:14 pm

I dislike paraffin or petrol lamps.

That's why I sold mine to Bread :)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:51 am

We got one of those pressure paraffin thingies but don't use it for lighting up the beach for miles around. It's a little stove for fixing a brew in the middle of the night or frying sausages/fresh caught fish - much better idea.

Bread

Post by Bread » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:46 am

concrete wrote:I dislike paraffin or petrol lamps.

You were young

You needed the money

:lol:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:44 pm

Young? :lol: :lol:

Mr_Me42
Occasional
Occasional

Head Torches

Post by Mr_Me42 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:11 pm

I go mountain walking (thats how i got into fishing, but thats another story). I use a Pretzl halogen bulb in a normal head torch and if i can read a map and navigate round the hills at night then i can badly bait hooks and should be able to see to unhook a fish.
Saying that tried a cheap and cheerful Millets special in the hills of Scotland this year and it performed well, still prefer my much repaired pretzl (for that reason).
Hope that helps

PaulS

Post by PaulS » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:37 pm

concrete

Post by concrete » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Bread wrote:
concrete wrote:I dislike paraffin or petrol lamps.

You were young

You needed the money

And the pie fund was getting low :lol:

Bread

Post by Bread » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:34 am

Bought a Speleo based on the following.

1. No leades running down your back.
2. Good battery life.
3. Bright
4. Waterproof.
5. Light
6. LED so the bulbs should last a long time.
7. Rechargeable.

There.

I'm skint now.