lights - lanterns

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
clarky

lights - lanterns

Post by clarky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:49 am

hi Guys - which is the best head light and lanterns to buy.
seen a few priced from 9.99 - 150 what do you lads use and would you recommend them

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:55 am

I've got a Coleman Dual Mantle lantern. They're about £40 and run on unleaded petrol. One tank fill will go all night. I use mine as background light round my kit and an LED headtorch for baiting up etc.

A lot of the guys have Coleman Northstars. They are a bit brighter and have electronic ignition but are also twice the price and a bit bigger.

Whatever you decide, I would go for petrol rather than gas. I had a small camping gaz lantern and while it was very good, they are expensive to run. A C470 gas cannister will do the same burn time as a tank of unleaded but costs £4-50 as opposed to 60p.

clarky

Post by clarky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:02 am

been looking at coleman - whats unleaded gas.
what make of head torch?

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:15 am

Sorry, unleaded petrol! (it's still early!)

My headtorch is branded as a Daiwa but the same thing is available under several different names. Mine was £12 and has the option of having 4,8 or 12 leds lit plus it has that flasher signaller thing going on that I've never used and find a bit annoying!

There are lots of headtorches out there ranging in price from pennies up to silly money. As long as you can see to bait up, set your drops etc I don't supose it matters much. They're also very efficient on battery time. Mine will do 24 hours on 3 AAA batteries.

clarky

Post by clarky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:22 am

i mean what is unleaded gas as the adverts for the lanterns say use coleman fuel or unleaded gas

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:26 am

Coleman is an American company. They refer to Unleaded Petrol as Unleaded gas. It's the same thing. I get a 5litre fill in a petrol container when I fill up the car or syphon it out of the motorbike into a Sigg bottle (An aluminium bottle available from most camping shops) so that I generally have some spare fuel as my coleman stove runs on it as well. Well, I say I generally have spare. When I bought the lantern, I got to Orford and put it together to realise that I'd left the fuel in the car!!!

clarky

Post by clarky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:35 am

cheers dunc should have realized its the same feel frign stupid now :roll: :roll:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 am

Don't worry. My two kids make me feel stupid all the time!! :lol: :lol:

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:43 am

I've used a tilley lamp for about 30 years and never really had a complaint....except for the weight of the thing. I have now stopped using any kind of lantern and just use an MFA 2 in 1 Headlamp Unit.....can't fault it.

They're not as bright as some I've seen but have two settings, 3 led which is more than adequate for watching rods, baiting up etc and high beam which is a bit like a car headlight....I've never found the beam neccesary. Using just the LEDs on permently the batteries last for a good few sessions and as everything is self-contained its very light and compact and there are no leads to get in the way. Build quality is as good as any of the Petzl lamps I've had in the past.

At £20 from Veals it won't break the bank either and compares on quality with some lamps that are a lot more expensive.

I also use an MFA Clip-on light which comes with a strap so it can be used as an emergency headlamp - they are a bit pricy but again....a good peice of kit that I'd recommend.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Lamps.html

clarky

Post by clarky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:23 am

thanks again lads most helpfull

lugworm

Post by lugworm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:23 am

Tiga headlamp every time, 5 watt and 20 watt bulbs fitted....all the light you'll ever need.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:26 am

I love my Tiga- pricey but worth evey penny in my opinion.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:28 am

That's what the local coast guard said after that container ship mistook you for a lighthouse!! :lol: :lol:

clarky

Post by clarky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:29 am

f**k me am i right it say those are £185

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:32 am

They're not cheap but then there's always the fact that you can light up a small town with them! :lol: