Rod and Reel Advice

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
andy67

Rod and Reel Advice

Post by andy67 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:45 am

I am an experienced pike and general coarse angler but have only briefly dabbled with sea fishing over the years. However, looking to get more into sea fishing and so looking for a bit of advice on rod/reel choice ....... for piking I use Daiwa Powermesh rods and Shimano Baitrunners although I don't really want to put these rods/reels through the rigours of salt water abuse. Also have a set of Fox Rangemaster carp rods.

I live in Edinburgh and likely to be fishing east coast beaches for flatfish, small codling and small bass ........ what rod and reel recommendations would you make re. a beachcasting set up.

I have never used a multip;lier and so would be happier to stick to a fixed spool.

Hoping you can help.

Cheers.

Andy

Bread

Post by Bread » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:56 am

It sepends on how much you want to spend and how often you want to go.

Fish4Fish
Regular
Regular

Post by Fish4Fish » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:57 am

Hi there, (I originate from the Edinburgh area)
Sounds like you want to do light-shore angling, for this, a 10-11ft rod capable of casting 2-4oz would be ideal. A fixed spool reel in the 60 size-range would be adequate. 10-12lb mainline connected to the correct strength leader is all you need. (10lb b.s. for every 1 oz of lead)
Abu are reliable 'mainstream' makers of such equipment, so too Penn and Daiwa, but I would steer clear of 'cheapos' by Zebco and Ron Thompson etc, as the better quality gear will last longer and be a lot more reliable.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 am

I have to disagree with Fish4fish and wonder what kind of sea fishing he does. I would never use anything less than 15lb breaking strain main line - if you get a big bass on and the sea is a bit rough, you could well loose the fish with only 10lb line - I have seen it happen. In fact I mainly use 18 lb line as I can cast it well over 100 yds and know that it will take the strain if a large bass or smoothound takes the bait. Also I do not believe in buying expensive gear, it does not last any longer and does not catch more fish. My mate uses a couple of Ron Thompson 12ft Carbosticks and they are well made and tough. I use a Shakespeare Salt Beach 12ft which cost me £50 and a Cormoran Powersurf 13ft which cost even less. Also I use Okuma Pro 65 reels which cost me about £20 each and get washed off and oiled regularly. Having said all that, I would not use the "schoolboy" stuff which you see in some tackle shops and is very cheap indeed. I think I know roughly what I am talking about as I fish about twice a week all through the year.

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 am

Ditto other comments on bargain basement gear....you get what you pay for generally! Middle of the road is quite often the bestchoice, very little loss in quality and performance but because it isn't the ferrari of the tackle world you see a significant saving on the "latest" kit. Anybody that uses Shimano reels already knows all about the quality argument though :wink:

Flatfish, Small Codling and Bass (assuming the tides and weed are not too bad) shouts out for a Bass Rod and light gear which will give you maximum sport. Failing that just get yourself a reasonably light standard beachcaster...so long as you don't get a casting pole you should get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

One word of warning about cheap rods, though. They generally don't use top of the range materials and hence cannot acheive the light weights that the higher end rods can any other way than by thinning the wall of the blank they are built on. This often makes them susceptable to damage if you try to overload them i.e. cast 7oz weights on a 4oz rated rod.

andy67

rod and rell advice

Post by andy67 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:35 pm

Excellent. Thanks to all for advice/info.

Andy