Tackle

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
edloc69
SE Coast Moderator
SE Coast Moderator
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Gravesend

Tackle

Post by edloc69 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:48 pm

Can anybody give me a bit of advice about what rods and reels to buy, I'm not that good at casting but am keen to practise and I don't really want to spend more thanabout £100-£150 I know I ain't going to get much for this but any advice will be gratefully taken in :?:

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:07 pm

You're being far too pessimitstic about the cost of decent tackle Edloc- you will be able to get a cracking rod amd reel for that sort of price, e.g.-

Daiwa Supercast (prob abve budget with reel)
Daiwa Sandstorm
Abu Conlon Xodus- Spottydog are doing this for £89
Ron Thomson Xcellerator

Reels- For casting reels i reckon the best deal at the moment is the old style green Abu mag Elite which is going for £69.99- i personally use the Xodus teamed up with the Mag Elite for clean (ish) fishing and find it's a perfect combination for casting and fishing. If youre fishing rougher ground you prob cant go wrong with a Daiwa Slosh 20 or 30.

There are loads more rods out there that fall under your budget- but it depends on what kind of fishing you do- rough ground/clean ground etc

Give some more details of the fishing you intend doing and what you want to use the rod/reel for and someone will point you in the right direction- but in all honesty I'd get yourself into your local tackle shop once you're armed with what you're looking for then try and get a good deal from them. look in the mags, find out the best prices then work from there.

These are my thoughts- I'm sure others might have different views/opinions.

Cheers

Stuartdv

Bread

Post by Bread » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:26 am

If your're going for multipliers, just make sure that the rod is rigged for used with multipliers - but you probably knew that anyway.

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 pm

As stuartdv says, get yourself to the tackle shop and try a few combinations out for size but......before you buy check out the internet as well to see what price your chosen combination is going for online. If you look around there are some very good bargains to be had mail order and the savings might allow you to buy better than you could afford locally.

If you are keen to support your local tackle shop but can find the stuff cheaper on the net simply print the lower internet prices off, take em to the local shop and get into some good old fashioned haggling - might save yourself enough to get some extra gear (or a few beers). You'd probably be quite surprised what the mark-up on most tackle is, so there's no reason to assume that the dealer won't be prepared to offer you a deal....and if you don't ask, you don't get :wink:

stuartdv - are you still up for peelering - went last week and there were a few about.

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:49 pm

As stuartdv says, get yourself to the tackle shop and try a few combinations out for size but......before you buy check out the internet as well to see what price your chosen combination is going for online. If you look around there are some very good bargains to be had mail order and the savings might allow you to buy better than you could afford locally.

If you are keen to support your local tackle shop but can find the stuff cheaper on the net simply print the lower internet prices off, take em to the local shop and get into some good old fashioned haggling - might save yourself enough to get some extra gear (or a few beers). You'd probably be quite surprised what the mark-up on most tackle is, so there's no reason to assume that the dealer won't be prepared to offer you a deal....and if you don't ask, you don't get :wink:

stuartdv - are you still up for peelering - went last week and there were a few about.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Blakdog- yes I am- I was going down to Mersea on Friday afternoon to dig some lug for Orford on SAturday - not sure what you had in mind or where.

Wish I'd seen your post earlier as I've just ordered some peeler- mind you there's every chance he wont have nay in when I go to pick them up

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:38 pm

stuartdv wrote:Blakdog- yes I am- I was going down to Mersea on Friday afternoon to dig some lug for Orford on SAturday - not sure what you had in mind or where.

Wish I'd seen your post earlier as I've just ordered some peeler- mind you there's every chance he wont have nay in when I go to pick them up
Won't be peelering this w/end anyway mate. Have a couple of days off to get my roadbike mot'd and hopefully stock up on ragworm and then I have to lay my hands on a new bait fridge over the weekend and maybe set it up if time allows. If things go well I have a one-night fishing pass also....but depends on time.

I was going to suggest we meet up down here (Brightlingsea) over the next couple of weeks as there will hopefully be a few more about than there are at the mo. I'll have a look at the tides tonight and see what their like for next weekend and PM you - if it's not convenient we can always arrange for the following weekend.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:48 pm

cheers blakdog

Hope you get everything sorted.

Your suggestions sound fine- like you say PM me and i should be able to make it down to brightlingsea- its only twenty minutes away from me.

Stuart

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Okay mate I'll let you know.

Just noticed I'd posted the same message twice earlier - I wish they'd buy some decent computers at work, hows a bloke supposed to sort out his fishing business?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bread

Post by Bread » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:01 pm

If you don't mind an extra one coming along, would you mind if I came aswell if you are out and about bait digging and peelering? I'm trying to learn how it's done ?

You cn PM me if you like.

Cheers

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:26 pm

blakdog wrote:
Just noticed I'd posted the same message twice earlier - I wish they'd buy some decent computers at work, hows a bloke supposed to sort out his fishing business?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's damned inconsiderate of them- You want to take that to your Union- Everybody Out!!! :D

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 pm

stuartdv wrote:
blakdog wrote:
Just noticed I'd posted the same message twice earlier - I wish they'd buy some decent computers at work, hows a bloke supposed to sort out his fishing business?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's damned inconsiderate of them- You want to take that to your Union- Everybody Out!!! :D
Union already are, but over piffling issues such as pay and job security....trade unionists just don't seem to understand the importance of a bit of fishing :lol:

Screaming, you are more than welcome to tag along - there may be another one coming as well so it's becoming a bit of a party, I hope the strippers (I mean peelers) turn up. :lol:

Bread

Post by Bread » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 pm

blakdog wrote:
stuartdv wrote:
blakdog wrote:
Just noticed I'd posted the same message twice earlier - I wish they'd buy some decent computers at work, hows a bloke supposed to sort out his fishing business?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's damned inconsiderate of them- You want to take that to your Union- Everybody Out!!! :D
Union already are, but over piffling issues such as pay and job security....trade unionists just don't seem to understand the importance of a bit of fishing :lol:

Screaming, you are more than welcome to tag along - there may be another one coming as well so it's becoming a bit of a party, I hope the strippers (I mean peelers) turn up. :lol:
cheers - if you can give me a time and a place, I'll whizz over.

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Okay mate, will probably be the bank holiday w/end or the following one, depending on tides, chores, wife moaning etc....if you can't make one day we'll find another that suits.

Bread

Post by Bread » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:27 pm

blakdog wrote:Okay mate, will probably be the bank holiday w/end or the following one, depending on tides, chores, wife moaning etc....if you can't make one day we'll find another that suits.

:lol:


the wife moaning :?:


That's outrageous :!:

Are you sure you can find the time :?:

Post Reply