Rod reel combos

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
miami

Rod reel combos

Post by miami » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi all. I brought myself a rod reel combo just before christmas for about £60 i think, cant remember exactly. Anyway the rod is Phiranna Powersurf. Seems to be pretty good and gets decent write ups in magazines but the reel that came with it is pretty rubish i think. I only used it once and didnt like it and I dont even know what its called. When i used it a caught a decent sized whiting off the pier but had troubling relling the fish up the side of the pier. The reel stopped winding in so i had to pull the line in by hand. So now im looking to replace it. Any ideas what to get, I guess about £50 - £60 is my budget. Not a multiplyer, need a f.s.

Any help appreciated. :?

holdernessfisherman

Post by holdernessfisherman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:08 pm

hi there mate thats the trouble with combos i have a penn surf master 70 they are around 60-70 pounds but i swear by them there are good reeling in on a pier as i use mine on bridlington pier

hope this helps from will

miami

Post by miami » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Cheers mate. You know I was just looking at a penn surfmaster 750. seen one for £50 on special offer. Might get that.

holdernessfisherman

Post by holdernessfisherman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:16 pm

yer they are exelent i would definately get on if i was you would be we worth it

from will

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:39 pm

I bought the Penn surfmaster 750 and it's bluddy brilliant. very well engineered. There's a guy on Ebay selling them for £45.

holdernessfisherman

Post by holdernessfisherman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:17 pm

blumin ek thats cheap might ave to get anoter for bass fishing in the summer they are excellent

cheers from will

Blackie

Post by Blackie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:04 am

i HAVE SURFFMASTER 750, USED IT ONCE BUT WAS VERY GOOD, WELL MADE. Good luck £50

Bread

Post by Bread » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:36 pm

miami wrote:Cheers mate. You know I was just looking at a penn surfmaster 750. seen one for £50 on special offer. Might get that.
I have 2 850s and am very impressed with them. However, try to keep the line tight(ish) becasue the line sometimes gets wrapped behind the spool and it's a pig to sort out - especially if you have a fish on.

They aren't supposed to do this as there is a bush either side of the spool to stop it, but it doesn't really work well enough sometimes.

Also, they can scratch easily, so just be careful when you pack them away - if possible, get some reel cases. Otherwise, you should be OK.

Otherwise they are a very good reel.

:-)

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 pm

Miami

Cant comment on FS reels as I dont use them other than for spinning but if you fish off a pier where there's a chance of some decent fish I'd personally invest in a drop net as you're going to have problems winching any decent fish up even with a bigger fixed spool reel- apart from that theres always the risk of the hook straightening with a very good fish which would bring tears to mine eyes as it swam off.

Drop nets arent as expensive as a new reel and it saves on tears plus you can always use it to collect a bit of bait as youre waiting for that big bass to turn up.

Cheers

mbmailler

Post by mbmailler » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:47 pm

i use a diawa emcast 6000 and have to say its a cracking reel it cost me about £70 when i bought it but i think the price has dropped abit

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:06 pm

On ebay they are selling Penn Surfmaster 750s now for £34.99 plus £7-90 P&P - the seller is crazyfishworldwales (no less) who I bought mine from for £45.

Damn good price so I've ordered another.

dallydog

Post by dallydog » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi Miami,

I use the Penn surfmaster and also a diawa 5500 sport - the surfmaster is loaded out with 15lb momo with tapered shock leader 15- 60lb and the Diaiaw with braid - with a tapered shock leader of 15 - 60 lb.
The surfmaster is a fantastic reel combined with the 13 ft Penn Powerstix surf rod.
I have however found the Diawa was better with the 15ft Penn Powerstix that I use - I had the luck two weeks before christmas in having to reel a 6.5lb bass over a ( yep it did put one hell of a bend in the rod ) 30ft wall and ok I was usung a size 2/0 pennel with Mustard hooks - the reel coped fantastically easily as I don't have the physical strength of you guys - only for exacly the same thing to happen 15 mins later - lucky or what.
But for what it is worth the reel is so good I bought another one and both were under £50.00.
I hope this helps.

YellowWellies

Post by YellowWellies » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:28 pm

I'm looking for a rod and reel myself Dallydog, so thanks for the info.

Bread

Post by Bread » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:42 pm

dallydog wrote:Hi Miami,

I use the Penn surfmaster and also a diawa 5500 sport - the surfmaster is loaded out with 15lb momo with tapered shock leader 15- 60lb and the Diaiaw with braid - with a tapered shock leader of 15 - 60 lb.
The surfmaster is a fantastic reel combined with the 13 ft Penn Powerstix surf rod.
I have however found the Diawa was better with the 15ft Penn Powerstix that I use - I had the luck two weeks before christmas in having to reel a 6.5lb bass over a ( yep it did put one hell of a bend in the rod ) 30ft wall and ok I was usung a size 2/0 pennel with Mustard hooks - the reel coped fantastically easily as I don't have the physical strength of you guys - only for exacly the same thing to happen 15 mins later - lucky or what.
But for what it is worth the reel is so good I bought another one and both were under £50.00.
I hope this helps.
The Penns are saltwater tested so shouldn't fall apart after a couple of months, or go all squeeky like my mates shimano.

Have a look at the Daiwa Supercast for a rod aswell, as a lot of people on here swear by them and they come highly recommended.

miami

Post by miami » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Cheers, thanks all for the advise. Been abit busy the last few days. Def gonna go for a penn or diawa reel now. will order this weekend. Nice result with that Bass Dallydog.