Advice wanted for boat fishing rod & reel combo

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
gingerangler
Regular
Regular

Advice wanted for boat fishing rod & reel combo

Post by gingerangler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi guys... (n girls!)

I'm consdidering purchasing a rod n reel for standard boat fishing. Dont go that often so dont wont to spend too much dosh, but wondered if any of you could recommend a good rod/reel combo deal. Used to beach casters, so looking for advice on what length rod, what class, etc, as I'm not sure myself. Reel-wise, I'm hoping to use a multiplier.

Appreciate any advice

Ta :wink:

basildon-mick

Post by basildon-mick » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:03 am

if you are going out from local ports a uptider is what you need
but if you are going down on the south coast wreck/ reff fishing
15/30 class is ok or a very good uptider as for reels you say you have mutipliers what sort are they adu 6500 or 700 are very good

( if you had put this up two weeks ago you could have had all mine
just sold it all for £85 2 uptiders 1 15/30 1 50 glass two diawa
sealine loaded with braid and a load of end tackle )

mick

gingerangler
Regular
Regular

Post by gingerangler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:26 am

Bugg3r! :cry:

Oh well.. Cheers Mick. Sorry, perhaps I said it wrong - I need to buy a reel aswell. All my beach reels are fixed spool, and was hoping to get a multiplier for this new setup. I'm going south coast monday, and east coast sunday. Would ideally like a rod that covers both... may be better off with a 30lb class as uptider dont think would cope with wrecking?

Anyone else got some nice second hand boat n reels they're selling? Only good stuff tho plze as dont want real cheap kit that'll just snap first trip :lol:

gingerangler
Regular
Regular

Post by gingerangler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:08 pm

Mick (or anyone else),

would an Abu 6500/7000 be good at both beach casting AND boat fishing?

basildon-mick

Post by basildon-mick » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:08 pm

the 7000 is more of a boat reel 6500 depens what modle you get
the 6500 mag is great beach reel but in the right hands will do a good job on a boat

take a look at both only you will know what feels best for you

mick

diawa do 27ht boat /beach reel for about £60 there ok

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:40 pm

Ginger-

You could consider the Daiwa Slosh 30 which is fine for the beach & rocks but I believe i've seen Henry Gilbey using one from a boat as well- I'm not into boat fishing at all and dont really fancy it but others might know more whether the slosh will cope with boat work but tis got a very good retrieve on it.

Cheers

Stuart

mark43

Post by mark43 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 am

There is also a ron thompson combo deal avaliable 12lb rod ,okuma reel for £80.00 good little set up

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:26 pm

If you want a combo that will cope with anything from dabs to conger and tope then I suggest you look a the solid carbon faden rod 60 to 100lb class beefy enough to cope with the biggies and sensative enough to feel that small dab or whiting. coupled with the okuma magnetix boat reel. Bit on the expensive side but well worth it.