Fishing Lantern Gas or Petrol

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
Bread

Fishing Lantern Gas or Petrol

Post by Bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:11 am

I'm looking for a good all round lantern for use on beaches mainly but also some use on a pier.

My choices are either a gas Calor lantern or a Coleman Northstar, which vary in price between the two models, but I was wondering if there were any other alternatives that you may be able to enlighten me with.

I'm not interested in batteries because you can't warm your hands on them and basically, I like a real flame (I know.... :roll: )

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks, Happy New Year and tight lines for 2007.

:D

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:22 am

I've got a Northstar which Ive used three times. It's a good lamp, but I've gone over to led lights. It is currently in it's box in my shed. If it still works ok would you be interested in buying it. When I last looked at it(about 6 months ago) it was still in new condition. I really must get some fresh petrol and try it. The electric starter was working fine when I checked.

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:26 am

Definately Concrete.

Would really be interested in buying the lamp.

Could you send me a PM with the amount ?

Cheers.

2007 is off to a great start already.

Cheers.

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:13 am

Did you get my PM? I'm not sure it went.

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:16 am

Hi Concrete,

I haven't got it yet.

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:24 am

I've tried again.

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:26 am

got it this time.

Cheers.

blakdog

Pier Lantern

Post by blakdog » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:35 pm

Can you use a Northstar on a pier? Most of the piers I've been on are Victorian jobbies i.e. wooden and they ban pressure lanterns because of the fire risk. Suppose you must have checked before deciding on a Northstar.

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Good reminder. No fuel lamps or 12 volt batteries on Walton Pier.

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi Blackdog, I already checked and I know I can't use a Northstar on a pier, but I can use a small battery lamp for the few times I go.

I fish mainly at St Osyth beach, so the Northstar is ideal for this. As the Northstar is quite expensive, I was wondering if I could get away with the gas lamp, but as Concrete is willing to sell me his, I think I've got the best option now in the Northstar.

blakdog

Lamps

Post by blakdog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:50 am

You've obviously thought it all out - makes sense. I use an old 250 candlepower tilley converted up to a 500 cp - can't bring myself to sit next to a cannister of pressurized petrol as I've seen a couple of the early Colemans "go up" - the tilley has never let me down and is a doddle to light with a small blowtorch.

I'll look out for a northstar next time I at St Osyth - I fish there occasionally and walk my dogs there on a fairly regular basis.

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:57 am

I have had a northstar lantern for about a year now previously jus had a cheep gas lamp and my head torch and would never go back the northstar is so much brighter and gives out a bit of warmth which is nice when sitting by the door on your bivvy.

Bread

Post by Bread » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi guys,
I'm at St Osyth most weekends (March onwards) so give me a shout when your coming over and we could have a bit of a fish if you want.

Always up for a bit of company.

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:40 am

i got the northstar and wouldnt be without it,i use it on piers and on the beach in the height of winter,put 2 pebbles on top for 5 minutes and you have a pair of handwarmers,then put 2 more on so when the 1st 2 go cold there is another 2 ready for you

satan

petrol lamps

Post by satan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:46 pm

i had a coleman petrol lamp and rest assured i will never use 1 again mine went up in flames burning an arm and half my face it couldnt swim when it ended up in the sea