Sea Fishing Hook Size ?

General Sea Fishing Tackle discussion here.
jimbob3584

Sea Fishing Hook Size ?

Post by jimbob3584 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:59 am

i was just wondering on peoples opinions on hook size myself and a couple of my mates keep having the same conversation what ends in an arguement all the time. one of my mates swears by using size 1 aberdeens for all his fishing and he reacons he never misses a fish with them as the are small. myself I prefer size 1 - 1/0 for smaller fish ie match fishing but if im after a slightly bigger fish i would go to 2/0 - 4/0. But my other mate he is the complete opposite he likes to use 3/0 - 4/0 all the time.

so what do other people think of this, any advice would be handy and hopefully i will be able to end this arguement once and for all.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:14 am

i use a hooksize that matches the species im fishing for, and then ill choose a bait that goes with the hook. if you get what i mean? its pointless fishing 5/0 wide gapes for flatties the size of stamps because they simply find it very hard to swallow/get in their mouths. then again i wouldnt use a size 1 for sharking simply because you need a big hook that would come right through their lip... its hard to explain but i guess the way your mates thinking is anything will take a size 1 whereas small fish struggle to take large hooks

daiwa
Advanced User
Advanced User

hook size

Post by daiwa » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:55 am

i have posted hook size in east cost section,iam getting lots of bites but no fish,i have used large hooks, size 3/0 and i think this is why am missing bites,as the hook is to big, i changed to a size 1,and this is paying off better,as at the end of the day there are more small fish in the see than big, i would use a small hook for fishing now, if you do get a big fish it will still take a small hook, this is what i find for shore fishing,

MJB

Post by MJB » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:38 pm

It's more important to match the hook size to the bait you are using. Even a small Pout can gobble down a size 4/0 hook.