WHY FILLETS

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Great bait for the bloody doggies at Holyhead lol :D :D :(( :((
cheers
Keith :D :D

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 am

Hi SteveMackerel is my main bait throughout the summer months.
I use it in every conceivable form but to generalise this works for me. Fillets when wrapped with bait elastic can become reasonably aerodynamic and it is a good way to get a largish bait delivered at distance. Also because it is all flesh there is nothing to prevent the hook setting well.
I do not like using the head section as the skull imho can prevent hooks setting particularly with huss at distance.I lost a few double figure fish close to the shore because the hooks hadn't penetrated the boney jaw. It doesnt seem to affect close in conger.
To prevent a whole Joey or half mackerel section from spinning in flight simply cut off all the fins closely with scissors.It is'nt foolproof but it helps.

To me a chunk would be difficult to present well unless you were using a big hook and then you might as well use half a mackerel. It wouldn't have the casting ability of a wrapped fillet.
Crabs will destroy your bait anyway so the best way to avoid it is to change it frequently. On the Shannon a whole fillet will last 15 minutes max.

I think chunks would work well off a boat but then you have to think of the target species and it would appear to me that a dogfish would be the perfect fish to take a chunk.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

cheers baitdigger very good info .i used to cutthe fins of when i was pike fishing ,helped in casting a great deal
steve