Pout?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
Jebend

Pout?

Post by Jebend » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 pm

i remeber years ago when i first started fishing i went out on a boat and used live pout as bait and caught the biggest bass ive caught to date, still 7 years later havent managed to beat my personal best, is it possible to catch pout from the shore to use as live bait? i think it was pout i used anyway might be another species!

Cheers,
Jebend

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Jebend,

Check out Cuckoo's "Town Quay" posts on the South Forum !.

Cheers,

Dave

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Actually his last one was "Fishing with Goldenballs!

Dave

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:26 pm

You dont get out much do you jebend lol :D :D theres pout everywhere mate , as dave said have a look at the town quay reports mate all our bass are taken on live pout or live whiting ;)

Jebend

Post by Jebend » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Thank you for the response, ive had a look at the catches on live pout from town quay and some very impressive results! whats the easiest way to catch live pout? had a search can't seem to find any?

cheers jebend.

edit: also which is the best gear to use? rig wise? and safest way of getting it into the water, cheers fellas.

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Jebend,

At Town Quay it's a case of lobbing out 2 hook flappers to catch the pout before lip-hooking one on a decent size hook and lowering it down the side.

Off the beach it's a similar tactic to catch the pout but then you need to lob it gently out 20 - 30 yards.

The only other alternative off the beach is to use a Live bait rig - tie a small hook to the bend of a big hook, bait the small hook with rag and cast it out. A pout will take the bait on the small hook and will be then be bait on the big hook. The main problem with this rig is catching a large pout / whiting on the small hook.

Cheers,

Dave