bait for thorneys

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
fisher_callum
Occasional
Occasional

bait for thorneys

Post by fisher_callum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:02 pm

hi all can anyone help me out here? i plan to fish sandwich bay not this weekend but next weekend for a ray ive looked at rabbi2's availability of sea fish species by month and i think there might just be a few kicking about down the bay if so what bait is best to use for them?

cheers in advance!

Fisher_callum :D :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 pm

hi fella im no expert and ive only ever cought 2 and that was sunday just gone but as far as i no squid and mackie are the best baits for thornies but someone else may have more info hope this is of help
steve

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:40 pm

ive only had a few but ive been told that sand eel is the number 1 bait for rays, followed by fresh mack and then squid.
all mine were on sand eel and squid cocktails.

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:53 pm

where your fishing around kent blueys will catch you more rays than any other fish baits,sandeels also.Try to get ammo blueys 90% of the rays me and my mates have had all been on blueys or sandeel bluey wrap.

andy

fisher_callum
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fisher_callum » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 pm

andymad wrote:where your fishing around kent blueys will catch you more rays than any other fish baits,sandeels also.Try to get ammo blueys 90% of the rays me and my mates have had all been on blueys or sandeel bluey wrap.

andy
hi mate ill be fishing sandwich bay. :D

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 pm

You might pick the odd ray up,but you wont beat blueys at sandwich bay or most of the kent coast although sandeels will do

fisher_callum
Occasional
Occasional

ammo

Post by fisher_callum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 pm

andymad wrote:where your fishing around kent blueys will catch you more rays than any other fish baits,sandeels also.Try to get ammo blueys 90% of the rays me and my mates have had all been on blueys or sandeel bluey wrap.

andy
hi andy whats the difference between blueys and ammo blueys?

cheers

fisher callum :D

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 pm

sorry for the late reply
ammo baits blueys,sandeels ect are always in tip top condition me and my mates have used other brands but found ammo are the best.
other brands will do but i favor ammo

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Fresh mackerel is number one here but I have had them on Squid and sandeel or cocktails of all three. I had a couple today on frozen mackerel.
Never tried Bluey as it is not easily available here but I guess all fish baits will work. I have heard of them taking peeler crab and large raw prawns.