Why Can't You Freeze Blow Lug?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
Esskie

Why Can't You Freeze Blow Lug?

Post by Esskie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:34 am

This is something I just heard of very recently and wondered if anyone knows why blow lug can't be frozen?

regular black lug are gutted before being frozen but not sure about gutting a blow bag?

To be honest I always thought lug were only called blacklug when they turn black after gutting & prep for storage etc,?

While on the subject of lugworm, two packs of Oiled Black Lug I received in an order of mixed baits seem to work very well!
An unopened pack will keep for 3-4mnths in the tackle box?, they apparently give off a much better scent trail/oil slick than fresh?

We fished with a couple of oiled blacklug and a whole baby squid stuffed with peeler double hooked on size 3/0 Aberdeens.

Oops!, rambling off-topic again! :D

If anyone can enlighten me regarding the freezing of blowlug though at all please I'd be very grateful

Cheers, Andy

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

It comes back as mush, my mate tried it last year and once defrosted could not get it on the hook - just fell to bits. Black lug is an entirely different species to blow lug you can tell them apart because the blacks go down deeper and leave a spiral cast rather than the mess all over the place which blow lug do.

Esskie

Post by Esskie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for that eccles ;)

I got a load of blow lug mixed with blacks pumping on Friday, mostly all were used on Friday night but enough left to consider freezing until learning you couldn't.

Yes, they look different to blacks, not sure what is considered a large blowlug but some of these were maybe around 3-5"?

I know blow lug casts have the 'blow hole' & a blacklug's cast will be without a blowhole or sometimes have what looks like a small hole in the centre of the cast aye?

Oh well, hopefully the larger tides next week will expose some nice blacklug beds ;)

Much obliged for your reply mate,
Cheers, Andy

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I seem to remember that you can salt blow lug then freeze it but I dont know first hand.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14 am

if you salt worms then they will be preserved, no need for freezing if they have been properly salted ( not just sprinkled with salt )
I salt ragworm and have a lot of success with it, I will try some lug in the next couple of months and see how that works.
technique for salting ragworm
http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... gworm.html