Letting shellfish 'ripen'.

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Letting shellfish 'ripen'.

Post by fosma » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi folks,

After some advice as to how to let shell fish ripen, as I've read that slightly wiffy Slipper limpet can be deadly for bass.

I'm off to Spain at the end of the month for a month, and usually the fishing is dire from the beach infront of the flat. Have seen a couple of bass taken, so I'm really going to target them this year.

The rag that's available over there is microscopic and stupidly expensive (a couple of Euro's for a matchbox with a couple of worms in - enough for 2/3 casts) so I was thinking of using shell fish bait as the supermarket has a mind boggling variety of live ones (clams/razors/muscles/cockles etc) and from these I could build a more substansive bait.

I really think the bass population is pretty sparse, so a stinky bait may give me the edge. Can Razors be prepped the same way as slippers and how would this be done?

Cheers in advance,

Matt

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Isn't there anywhere you could dig a few lug? I have had all my recent bass with lug including a 5lber a couple of weeks ago.

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Careful of running afoul of the spanish shellfish laws.........

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:03 pm

hi matt not sure how you prepare limpets but as to the razors all i do is wether fresh or frozen is to leave them in the sun for ten minutes or so and the just pop them out of there shell thread onto a baiting needle and rap with elastic and then thread them onto your hook job done
hope this is of help
steve

fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fosma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks for the replies folks.

I dont think there's any opportunity to dig lug, as the med has a tiny tidal range, never seen any casts. And now I'm worried about Spanish shell fish laws. Hopefully wont apply as they'll be coming from the supermarket.

Still, I'll probably have a month of just sitting on the beach watching motionless rod tips again. Not so bad when accompanied by Sangrea.

Matt

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:08 pm

hi can you not lure fish out there for anything only a thought as ive never been out there so dont know but what ever you decide all the best and good luck with it
steve

fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fosma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Cheers for the luck Steve. I'll need it.
The wife owns a place in Spain so we go every year. I've pretty much tried every approach. Fish baits, crab baits, squids, cuttle, octopus, lures (2 years ago, I pretty much thrashed the water to a foam with a whole selection of lures - blank).

Actually caught 2 tiny Gilt Head bream last year on the tiny rag. Really just trying to rekindle some enthusiasm and get a level of hope for the coming month. The beach is a lovely big surf beach, screams bass, but I genuinely have put in some hours but to no avail. Still, maybe this year with some sticky shell fish.....

Matt