handling crabs..

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

handling crabs..

Post by geordiesandman »

i got to admit, i am a big girls blouse when it comes to crabs....

i got a nasty nip of one when i was younger, even though i picked it up from the back, like everyone told me....

admitedly it was a monster (probably not....lol)

anyway, are there any hits and tips for handling them, baiting them up?

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

catch them from behind with your thumb and index finger on the corners at the front of the shell, just above where the claws are joining the body. the crab cant get you then. also, after they've popped, their very docile, their full of water and the insides are like mush so they should be easier to handle.

i remember as kids at my grannys holiday house my dad used to bring us down onto the rocks under the house. he spent his summers there when he was young and knew it like the back of his hand. he used to put his hands into the cracks of the rocks where the edible crabs used to get shelter and pull them out bare handed. these things were huge and sometimes the shell was so big i had to use both hands to hold them and never once got pinched holding them like ive described above

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

thanks, i'll try that next time

Salfordian

Post by Salfordian »

Let us know how you get on Geordie even if it means typing with only 7 fingers >:)