keeping crabs

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

keeping crabs

Post by geordiesandman » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 am

what is the best way to keep crabs if you collect our own?

should i keep them alive, in fresh sea water, or cooled in the fridge?
or should i get them ready to bait up and freeeze them?
or even freeze them whole?

graham

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Wed May 12, 2010 9:12 am

I used to have a small fridge in our extension when i was a nipper... it had 2 shelves. me and a mate used to keep 2 trays of crabs with a little sea water and some news paper in the bottom with some sea water soaked sea weed over the top... be warned though the water, news paper and sea weed will probably need changing every couple of days or so

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 am

i keep mine in the fridge in a tray with a little sea water and a clump of damp sea weed over them and change the water every day.
once i see them starting to pop i try to use them or if im not heading out i peel them, take out the lungs and wrap in paper before freezing.

if your heading out fishing check them a day or 2 before. remove any that arent quite ready to pop and place them somewhere in the shade thats not too warm and put more water and sea weed in with them. this should bring them on a little quicker.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman » Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 am

when you talk about a little sea water and some news paper how much of each are we talking about?

my problem is at the moment i dont drive, so bringing tubs/bottles of sea water from the beach via public transport will be a pain?

graham

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 am

I use just a couple of sheets of news paper and literally just 1 cm deep of water