Peelers

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
jimjam
Regular
Regular

Peelers

Post by jimjam »

hi guys and girls theres a local crab pool not to far from my house and its packed with hard backs.
Is it possible to turn them into peelers by increasing the temprature of the water that is given to them wile they are stored at my house ?
:-/
Is this theory of mine just like the spring malt season but at a differant stage of the year ?

James

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

James, I have been thinking along the same lines but I believe it could be more complicated than it first appears. This is my reasoning:

most native marine animals require quite a low temperature which in their natural habitat is controlled by the vast quantities of water and the ambient temperature, to replicate this you would need some kind of cooler unit for your crab tank( like a beer cooler unit from a pub)

Raises in temperature must be slow and gradual so as not to kill the crab.

Crabs need a water supply so they can draw it into the shell to expand themselvesand therfore peel. you would need to filter this water to remove waste from the crab and prevent a buildup of toxins.
As you probably know, keeping peelers in the fridge slows down this process, and when you want to bring them on you allow them to warm up and give them a bit of water.
The best thing you could do is try a few experiments with small numbers of crabs at a time. I am going to try at the end of next month. I will let you know if I have any luck.

NEIL

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

simple solution use the hard backs as bait,remove legs and the triangle bit on the underbelly put hook through voila,or rip the hard shell top off chop in half and lacky them on.

hope this helps

Andy

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

Altough they are the best wrasse and trigger bait over here I have never caught anything else on hardbacks. I have found them in the stomachs of bass and pollack, Ive had dogs regurgitate them and conger cough them up.
I have always been led to believe the scent of a peeler is different to that of a hardback.

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

Thanks for the replys lads. I think im going to give it ago with some hardbacks see how it goes :D

James

Snagger

peeler crab

Post by Snagger »

you can buy peeler crab oil as an attractant so I would assume the scent from a peeler is not the same as a hardback. :-S

boansy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by boansy »

Hardbacks are very different from peeler as the enzymes and pheremones they give off during and after peeling are the trigger for the predatory fish looking for them, to such a point that the predators totally focus there feeding exclusivly. This is bad news for the crabs but a fantastic biological trate that many experianced anglers have picked up on. You really have to let this seasonal phenomenom develope though....give it a few weeks after the first finds of peelers.....unless your targeting flats or cod. Stick with the fresh lug first for the bass....but they do come on to the crab fairly well.

The best peelers to use are indeed the females that have moulted and are protected by harder males as there pheremone deters other crabs from praying on the soft females due to a mating enzyme that males and fish find very attractive in two different ways. Usually happens about 3 weeks after the first main male moult of shore crab.

Good luck with bringng some on early.....might try this myself at some point.

ohsolazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ohsolazy »

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

The first moult of the season has started on the East Irish coast and Ive seen a few moulted shells on this side so you wont have to wait much longer James