bait

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
tony1

bait

Post by tony1 »

hi new to sea fishing just wondering if anyone has tried ground baiting heard it works but just thought id ask thanks for any help tony

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi the problem with groundbaiting is keeping it in the area your fishing, it basically only works on boats or piers etc, you can rig something up, even an old sock would do it, put a weight in, then your mish mash of fish heads or whatever, and attach to the trace line. Of course casting would be awkward, so its easier to drop it over the side of a boat or pier. I made a groundbaiting weight for boat fishing out of a bird feeder, it has a 1lb weight with cage attached, i fill it and lower it. :D Cheers..Mick

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalo ... f_108.html

Hi guys dont know if this would be of any interest to you all.......................a weight with a ground bait / scent atractor cage attached.............not used it, so can't say how it performs but I think the concept looks interesting.

Cheers JOLI

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

When ground baiting the main problem is being able to cast near it as the tide makes its way in. Failing this the fish would be attracted out of your casting area and so defeat the object.
Cheers
keith :D :D

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

Tried it a few years back and had a good bag or bass on that occassion, but it may have been in the right time at the right place etc etc.
Id opt for trying on areas you wont be walking back with the tide, or somwhere without a srtong current. Harbour/ pier or off rocks would be your best bet.

Craig

bugboy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugboy »

Read an article in a mag a while ago about groundbaiting.
What they did was, when the tide was well out on a long beach, buried a few macky in the sand out where they thought they would cast to. Then moved back up the beach and assume a comfortable position until the water came in again, and hey presto. Downside, could make a long day, or if you leave the mark after baiting you could come back to someone else thinking fish stocks are defo on the mend.

ed

bugboy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugboy »

joliroger wrote: Hi guys dont know if this would be of any interest to you all.......................a weight with a ground bait / scent atractor cage attached.............not used it, so can't say how it performs but I think the concept looks interesting.

Cheers JOLI
Does look to have potential, but would hate to loose one at that money.

ed

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

a kinder egg with holes in works well,make sure you have a hole top and bottom pass a length of rig body through (60lb) with a genie/swivel at the ends ,so instead of clipping your weight to your rig add your feeder then your weight,you get your groundbait where you want and doesnt hinder casting

Andy1i

ps tony welcome to the wonderful world of sea fishing ~X( =))

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

I've heard of people digging holes at the end of groynes at low tide then fishing the area on high this creates a fish holding area, think any kind of ground baiting at low would be best parcially berried

rockhoper
Regular
Regular

Post by rockhoper »

what about a dvice drop baited hooks in then chopped fish mixed with a little groundbait put in the top, cheers ian.

monsterfish

Post by monsterfish »

Its great for wrasse fishing. Chopped up limpet and old rag
worm to get the feeding frenzy on.. then fish with big baits to go for the big uns. :D