frozen raw prawns

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
dontcatchmuch

frozen raw prawns

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i see in a few posts that prawns are a good bait for bass /thorne backs and dog fish and we all kmow the more sent and natural your bait is presented the better which gose without saying so why is it that a lot of these posts say to peel the prawn and use bait elastic to hold it on the hook if casting hard i know some baits you need the elastic for but surly removing the head etc removes a lot of the sent and makes it a totaly non looking natural bait so why should you peel them any answers please
cheers steve

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad »

Personaly i leave them whole,however my mate gets shelled ones from icelands i think its your own preferance

TBONE76

Prawns as bait.

Post by TBONE76 »

I remember speaking to a fella and he said that he's caught lots of fish using cooked peeled prawns, not sure how he was fishing them. I have used prawns myself, however these were live one's, threading one onto the hook in at the tail and out of the head, followed by two just tail hooked. I know that this works as ive caught bass this way before.

Cheers mate, Tbone.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

not personally had much success myself with the critters,live raw or cooked but i know few people that do have,stinky wiem (site member) uses them all the time,and another fella ive fished with uses shell on cooked shrimps,ive found the shelled cooked ones just fall apart,but anything is worth a try,dont forget you bait elastic

Andy1i

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

Frozen prawns can be a killer bait for the cod, when there there here that is!!

Craig

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

4CodsSake wrote:Frozen prawns can be a killer bait for the cod, when there there here that is!!

Craig
shell on or of craig how do you use them please
steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

cheers fellas looks like 50/50 at moment so could do with some more views please
steve

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

steve i would leave shell on,thread them up the hook (worm syle) tail first so hook point and gape come out of the head end,then secure in place with bait elastic.also i would put a good few on ya hook(s) to increase scent trail.thats how i would do it,but im sure others will have their own way.

Andy1i