razor clam/fish

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
dontcatchmuch

razor clam/fish

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi all done a serch and found some good tips but was wondering are they like mussels very soft or are they a bit more firmer say like lug worm and whats the best way to open them also most of the post i found on them say good bass bait but what else would they mainly catch
cheers steve

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, when something has a shell its usually for a good reason, its sloppy inside. :D I open them with a knife, just put it in the shell and twist it, use bait lacky when you have them on, and i would also make a cocktail with them. Last time i used shellfish, i put a bit of macky on, then a mussel then macky this gives it a bit of support and helps keep it on the hook. Cheers...Mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

If you salt mussels they will tend to firm up a bit.
Cheers
keith :D :D

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

cheers fellas great help
ps joli mine are already fozen 6-95 a kg or mail order with a min 30-00 order charge +7-50p+p or free p+p for 70-00 and over orders and for next day delivery i did check they are raw not cooked
cheers steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

cheers fellas great help
ps joli mine are already fozen 6-95 a kg or mail order with a min 30-00 order charge +7-50p+p or free p+p for 70-00 and over orders and for next day delivery i did check they are raw not cooked
cheers steve

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Ok mate no problem, you are welcome but i'm not deaf I heard you first time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =))

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

:D :D should i pm you joli just incase :D :D
dont no how it posted twice normaly have trouble getting things to post once
steve
ps have you used them in the thames joli and if so what did you catch please

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Iv'e only used them a couple of times co's they are quite a new bait to me. I used them just before Christmas down at the Southend Pier but to be honest the fishing was just turning into the barren spell caused by the appearance of the dreaded Sprat and so no definite conclusion could be drawn as to there effectiveness .However, within the next few weeks ie mid to late Feb when the Cod run again I hope to use them down at Walton where, I believe, 'Southendfisherman' has had some good success with them and in fact, I am determined to give Southend pier another turn despite what people think. I know it is a good venue still, it just takes a bit more determination, guile, and innovation as 'Mulletman' has demonstrated on many occasions. I have picked up a lot of knowledge and information from this Forum re the Southend pier and would thank all the guys involved. Cheers
JOLI

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

Dcm
Razors are a great bait but work best after a storm, when they are naturally displaced. I am very lucky in that I have a local beach where I can find them. Look at my blog for how to collect themhttp://baitdigger.wordpress.com/

I fish them live when I can and I might use two on a pennel rig secured with elastic. They are not sloppy when live.
If I need to freeze them I put them in the sink and pour boiling water over them, just a saucepan or kettle full, I believe this is called 'Blanching.' It makes the shells open and gives a good firm bait. When they are cooled I bag them in tens and freeze them.
It may be worth you defrosting a few and then scalding them, dont let them sit in the water let it run away, it doesnt appear to affect the attractiveness as a bait.
Ther is a lad from another site called Eric g who cuts the foot off the razor, threads it on a baiting needle, whips it on with elastic then transfers the whole thing to the hook. This give a small neat bait which casts easily.

I have had Bass, flounder, whiting coalies,dogs and pollack on it and Ive seen sea tout take it.