soft bait tip

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

soft bait tip

Post by Ribfisher »

here is a way i find that is very easy to mount soft baits to the hook and very simple to make.
items you will require
6" of broom handle
3 x 4" lengths of wire the sort used for grip weights.

Take the broom handle and on one end only drill 3 small holes equal spaced
on the end only.
glue and insert the three pieces of wire. so the stick out the end by about 3 1/2 inches.

to use is very easy.

place your hook length of mono in the center of the three wires and bring the hook down the broom handle and past your hand.

now stuff between the three wires with as much soft bait as you want.

next take some bait elastic and keep winding up and down the outside of the wires.

When done slide the bait and the bait elastic off the wires.
as you do this the bait will wrap it's self around the mono.

Now pull the mono through to the bait until the hook is where you want it.

Now that's a very soft bait mounted and ready to cast.
Bigger baits use longer wires.

This will work with ANY soft baits.

Easier than using a mate to hold the bait while you elastic it on.

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

What I have always done, is to cut off the head of a squid, and remove its insides without cutting it open.
Then pass the point of the bottom hook of a pennel rig through the point of the mantle and CAREFULLY push my finger up inside the squid and pull the hook through.
Then stuff the body full of other soft baits, i.e. crab, mussels/cockles or whatever bait you are using (i find it works really well with old smelly lugworm).
Tie the open end shut with bait elastic so it sits in the bend of the bottom hook and pass the top hook through the top of the squid so it's then held in place, nd wrap a few turns up and down the squid if ur casting far out to keep it in shape.
Take a bait needle and poke a fair few holes through the body of the squid to let all th juices and scent out,
and voila!!
One natural swimfeeder made from a good bait in itself, packed full of scent!!

Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

options

Post by Ribfisher »

It's a great idea.
Thanks

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Well like i said it works for me, and thats the way i like to bait up with mussels, only thing to be carefull of though is to really make sure you tie it in place with bait elastic so the squid doesnt slip down and cover the bottom hookpoint.
All the best :D